Cowl vent doors

Home Page Forums Body Cowl vent doors

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Does anybody know the trick to get the side cowl vent doors off? I have the hinge pin out, the handle off and the wood tack strip surround off. The door almost comes clear of the body side of the hinge but the pivot arms won’t clear. I don’t want to pry since the door/pivot arms are cast, might be more pot metal.

It looks like there is a steel frame insert from the inside that has the hinge half tack welded to it but the insert doesn’t appear to move. Jim

Jim,

Do you have any photos?

Bill,

Here is a picture of the left door in the open position with the front of the door hitting the body. That is where the clearance is the best.

Here is a better picture to see the subframe the door sits in and has the other hinge half and the spring loaded strut.

Jim,

Thanks for the pics. First, can you put a magnet on the cast hinge to see if is or isn’t steel/iron? Also, on the frame, were there screws in those hole?

Jim,

How are the hinge pivots attached to the rectangular frame?

Bill

I reread you first post and answered the last question, sorry

The door is non magnetic. The sub frame is spot welded to the body opening and the small holes had screws from the outside screwing into a wooden surround on the inside to attach the kick panel and the chromed trim piece. Jim

The doors and hinges are all one Piece cast aluminum, they can be a pain to get off. As I remember you have to push the door into the opening as you open it. You shouldn’t need to take off the spot welded pieces. Once I get them off I have re shaped the casting on the arm a little where the pin goes through to get a little more clearance. As you open the door don’t let it get outside the body, push the forward edge of the door into opening while rotating the door and you should be able to get clearance needed. If there is still the gasket on the door you may have to remove it to get the door to push in and rotate.

Bill,

Thanks I’ll give that a try. Jim

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.