Derham Body convertible coupes

Home Page Forums General Derham Body convertible coupes

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

John Steckbeck’s 1930 Pierce B Derham Convertible coupe has the lines of a roadster, as did my 31 Model 42 convertible. The square external landau iron look of roll up window open two door cars disappeared with Pierce on the 1931 convertible senior cars. Derham also built bodies for Stutz with this same configuration (Bill Snyder’s car) and perhaps some other makes also. On the back cover of the last Classic Car Magazine, is a picture of two ’31 Studebaker presidents with the new style svelte roadster top also. My question is, did Studebaker-Pierce cut a deal with Derham for this design? Or did they just step in, copy it (along with Studebaker) and continue to build it until the end of production in 1938? John’s top assembly and sheet metal is virtually identical to mine (now Dan Hanlon’s car).

I am sure they didn’t pay Ralph Roberts for most of the design leads they used for the open cars taking most ideas from LaBaron, so I doubt they paid Enos Durham for the roof design or the belt line treatment. Who had money by late 1930 for a slim chance lawsuit? You can read about the design details in the book “The custom coach work era”” by Hugo Pfau.”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.