Distributor cam

Home Page Forums Engine Distributor cam

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I am making progress on my ’35 845. Starter, generator, water pump, and fan have been gone through and remounted and picked up the radiator today. Now I have finally turned to the distributor and it looks like I have a problem. Original points vs Pertronix electronic conversion is looking like it might be a hypothetical.

My distributor is basically good and restorable except the the 4 lobe point cam is badly rusted and will tear up any new points. I don’t think the rust can be cleaned up without screwing up the timing and gap. I have attached a picture.

Bill Lyons sent me a link to a new Delco Remy lobe for Duesenbergs, but doesn’t look like a match for the Pierce’s Delco 662J distributor.

Does anyone have any leads to a source for a serviceable cam lobe? There seem to be other 8 cylinder Delco distributors available for reasonable prices that may have used the same lobe part – perhaps different versions of 662’s? Hollanders interchange doesn’t get to that level of detail on distributors.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks, Jim

John Cislak has a bunch of complete distributors and should also have some that are for parts. Give him a call, he is in the roster. Ed

Thanks Ed, I have sent a message to John. Jim

Hi Jim, any luck on a distributor cam ?

Greg

I have found a 662R distributor that fits LaSalle with a cam in better shape, the it looks the same as 662J but not certain at this point until I can pull it apart. A bit of a gamble but the price was right. It took some doing to find the Pertronix that fits, but finally located a source for that if I go that direction. I will see what the LaSalle cam looks like or if I get any other responses this week to decide. The rest of the distributor is ready to go and one way or another it is going on this weekend.

Coincidentilly my Packard distributor cam would probably interchange if it had the correct distributor, but it has a Northeast for a 1934 instead of a 662T.

Thanks, Jim

The 662R distributor cam does interchange. I think the odds are pretty good that other 662’s (there are a lot of them) also interchange.

662R is set up with 2 stage advance springs (one heavy and one light) instead of the matched springs on my 662J. I need to check more carefully but it looks like it might be set up to allow a bit more centrifugal advance, which could be a good thing since some additional advance should be feasible with the higher octane of current fuel compared to the 1930’s.

Jim

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.