Distributor cap

Home Page Forums General Distributor cap

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Looking for a little help. Restoring a 1922 Seagrave fire engine and I need a distributor cap. It is a Delco distributor and cap. The cap appears to be from what I have been able to find #15436 which is commonly used in Packards. The Packards guys told me they’re more common in the Pierce Arrows so here I am. Does anyone by chance have one they would be willing to part with. Thanks in advance.

Chris Bellavia

[email protected]

Hi Curtis

I may be wrong —But it looks like a mid early 20’s Buick one (Which is Delco) might fit. Good luck.

Jak

If it only fits fire trucks it won’t be expensive. That doesn’t look like any Pierce cap I have handled. I would post on the AACA site asking for help. Ed

Curtiss,

There is an old thread on the AACA that says

For Sale – Distributor cap, NOS, DR-171, #15436 Delco, for Packard 1923-26, Marmon ’23-’25, Nash ’22-’24, Pierce Arrow ’25-’28 and Wills St Clair ’25-’27

$95. It was sold to me as also fitting a ’24 Buick.

This link might also help

http://restorecarsclassifieds.com/wiki/show_pdf.pdf?n=6391

Thank you everyone for your responses, but Chris is not a member of the PAS and will not see your posts here. Please pass along any information to the e-mail address listed above, or respond to his ad on the PAS Facebook page.

Thank you.

Curtiss

Where does he live, and if he’s restoring a Seagraves, maybe he should be a PAS member ? Odds are that the Seagraves has a Pierce Arrow engine ??

That is the same distributor cap as is used on Series 80/81 Pierce Arrows. As well as 1919-1925 Dual Valve Pierce Arrows.

In 1925 or 26 the Dual Delco distributor with two 6cylinder caps was replaced with a Delco distributor with a single cap with 12 spark plug connections. And connections for two coils.

Greg Long

Greg,

Chris lives in Richmond KY. I encourage people to join the PAS while on Facebook, but it is not always successful.

Here’s a thought: JOIN FACEBOOK!!!…

Or at least get Ken to respond to my friend request so I can add him to the page and you can look over his shoulder!…lol…

Message from Chris:

this truck has the Seagrave F6 engine. Seagrave specifically made this engine for fire apparatus. The Pierce arrow in the seagrave was the v-12. This truck did not have the 12 plug option as some did.

Curtiss,

If that rotor is the correct rotor for that engine, Greg is correct about it needing Series 80/81 cap.

That cap does NOT have studs on the inside as do most, if not all of the caps of that vintage.

A Buick cap will not do the job.

The Series 80 / 81 cap has smooth contacts on the inside; it is totally flat on the inside.

Those caps are difficult to find.

I’ll post a photo of the inside, if I can find one.

Peter

Seagrave used both the Pierce-Arrow 8 (Seagrave 80 Series) and 12 (Seagrave 66 Series) cylinder engines.

The Buick cap has a different hold-down ‘ear’ for the outside retaining clips.. a Pierce and a packard cap have the big wide ‘ears’ for the retaining clips..

As for joining Facebook.. It’s 12:45PM and I’ve been on the computer since 0800. and only have gone outside to let LOKI out for his morning ‘break’.. and here I am back again..

Emails concerning cars, car parts, repairs,, the 2019 Annual Meet, the 2018 Annual Meet, and The Winter Board Meeting taking up much time.. As well as other emails and forums..

So, If I join FaceBook, I might as well plan on being immobile for the duration of my life.. NOT going to happen !!

I’m bad [slow] with getting parts boxed and sent out… if i have to sell more, I’ll never turn a wrench again on an actual car !!

I probably do have cap or two that should fit that distributor.

Greg

Curtiss,

Here is a photo of the bottom side of a Series 80/81 distributor cap.

Peter

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.