Distributor cap ID

Home Page Forums General Distributor cap ID

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

One of the members in the Pierce-Arrow museum group posted this photo and asked for help to ID this distributor cap.

He said that one of his uncles had a 1928 Pierce-Arrow and this was a leftover part.

He would like to know if that is correct. Any information would be most appreciated…thank you in advance.

Another photo….

Another angle…

Looks good to me. Series 36.

Curtiss,

De-Jon made high quality electrical do-dads in the 20s and such.

My Series 80 had a De-Jon starter when I acquired the car.

I have since acquired a De-Jon generator and distributor, even though I currently run a Delco-Remy starter, generator and distributor.

I have little doubt that Miles’ comment is correct and that De-Jon make the part for a 20s Pierce-Arrow, Series 36.

That is a rare and valuable find, especially considering the condition.

Peter

Thank you Peter…I will forward that information.

This distributor is very similar to, but not identical to, the distributors on my ’27 and ’28 Series 36 cars, which are Delco. Without having it in my hand to look at, it does look like it might fit. Perhaps an aftermarket distributor, an alternate manufacturer, or maybe from a late Series 33?

Both Delco and DeJon were suppliers to Pierce Arrow in the ’20’s

The base of the earlier magnetos, then the Dual Delco, and this DeJon distributor use the same bolt and base pattern for mounting to an engine. Sometimes there was a spacker to adjust the height of the drive shafts.

This single distributor, designed to fire two spark plugs per cylinder was the last design used to supply spark to the Dual Valve engines, which had two spark plugs per cylinder.

The common mounting bolt pattern allows for a dual Delco distributor to be mounted on an engine originally equipped with a Magneto, or a combination Magneto/distributor. A dual coil, dual points setup runs quite a bit better than a magneto on the early engines.

Greg

Thank you Greg & Peter…information has been forwarded.

Delco also provided a similar design, to this DeJon 6 cylinder distributor, but in a two spark 4 cylinder variant. Does anyone know if the Delco 4 cylinder 2 spark distributor could have been used on the later series four cylinder Pierce-Arrow trucks? They could have been used also on Stutz and probably Locomobile trucks.

Al

I have been informed that Gino is trying to find the application for this particular piece so he can find the right person who needs it.

He is trying to sell it to that particular someone that could use it…he has not given me a price, but if you could provide a fair market value, or if you are interested in purchasing it, please let me know…I will forward the information to him….

Thank you all for the information provided.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.