Door Hinge Pin Removal to Install Side View Mirrors

Home Page Forums Body Door Hinge Pin Removal to Install Side View Mirrors

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Gents,

I want to mount a left and right sideview mirror to my Series 80 Sedan.

I see many mirror types and believe that the least intrusive manner to do so is to use a hinge pin type.

Comments on the mirror type matter?

If that is the best option, how do I remove the door hinge pin without beating the snot out of the pin from below?

I assume that the pin does not screw in, but then again, of that I am not sure.

Is there a tool that will do this job?

I have faint recollection of such a tool, but perhaps one of you has more experience with the matter.

I really do not want to destroy the paint and would prefer to not drill holes in the door.

I appreciate any comments that you offer.

Thanks,

Peter

Hi Peter,

I had hinge pin mirrors installed on my Series 80 when it was in restoration last year. The pins are not threaded and should tap out from the bottom with a brass punch of the correct diameter. The mirrors are 4″ in diameter, and I wish they were a little larger. I have 5″ clamp on mirrors on another car and like them better, but I could not find that size for hinge pin style. The restoration shop installed them on the top hinge. I think visibility might be a little better on the middle hinge but they look good, and I have not moved them.

Best regards

Joe Morgan

http://[email protected]

Gents,

The winning procedure is to take a large “C” clamp, put a socket over the top of the hinge pin head (socket larger than the head).

With the socket in the grip of the top of the “C” clamp, tighten the clamp to push the exposed end of the hinge pin (at the bottom of the hinge) up and into the socket.

It will not move much, but enough to expose the pin shaft.

Then, you can take a drift / punch and begin tapping the pin out a bit.

Next, apply some PB Blast, let it sit overnight and tap again.

More PB Blast and more tapping.

More PB Blast and tap in back into place and then UP and OUT!

You will lose some paint in the process, but you can keep it to a minimum by being patient.

I wasn’t at first. RATS!

Thank goodness for black touch up paint.

Peter

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.