Ebay car for sale 1934 Pierce

Home Page Forums General Ebay car for sale 1934 Pierce

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

This one just popped up, never heard of a Pierce with different size wheels front and back….

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1934-Pierce-Arrow-840A-wood/173744921813?hash=item2874011cd5:g:D5AAAOSwpzRcP7sq:rk:35:pf:0

Look close, and inspect the car in person. Always the best advice.

I find it troubling that most of the bidders have a history with this seller. 10 to 75% on previous auctions. BEWARE BEFORE BIDDING!!!

The interior seems out of character with the car. David C. what do you think?

Obvious negatives are: Model A Ford horn button & light switch, no oil filter, no oil temperature regulator (cooler), upholstery pattern. Possible negative: radio mounted in engine compartment (radios and heat don’t get along too well).

Pictures too fuzzy to assess finishes.

I never understand why cars are done in odd and cheap fabrics, when original style material is available. Fabric cost is the small percentage of total cost, labor is the same regardless of fabric.

No, interior in that car not original. Nice body style, has some issues I’m sure, will be interesting to see what it goes for…..

I’ve wondered at that all my years in the hobby. Why is it people will choose incorrect materials for upholstery? Will choose paint colors which are authentic or clearly not complimentary?

In some cases it’s ignorance — they just don’t know.

In some cases they just thought it didn’t matter — these were just used cars a generation ago.

In some cases it’s pure arrogance — “I’ll do what I want. Period”.

It was more prevalent a generation of owners ago but still persists. I wish I could share a few recent examples but I’m too polite to do that !

I knew a local fellow, now deceased, who had a large collection. Had a small restoration shop to work on these cars. Nicest guy in the world. Kind, generous. But the colors he chose to paint cars were shocking at best. Upholstery done in Brady Bunch furniture patterns. Just dreadful. Maybe no one had the guts to tell him. Whenever you saw any car with a questionable choice of paint or upholstery, the locals would muse “That’s a George-restoration”.

George was a great guy and benefactor to his community, but his cars were not a legacy I’d want to leave.

I agree, Luke.

What’s the saying, penny wise and dollar foolish? I occasionally have people ask me about fabrics from a local store, such as JoAnn’s, and I just shake my head.

They’re wanting to save hundreds of dollars on an upholstery job with $1000’s of dollars of labor.

A friend has a small restoration shop, and has a late 20’s Chrysler roadster he’s working on. Owner didn’t like what I said about cost for a new top, so he went to a guy who’s not familiar with early cars, but he was less than half the cost.

I went and looked at car, top not bad looking from a distance, then you look closely and the front to back top seams are backwards, and every lift-the-dot fastener is put on upside down. You CAN’T lift the dot!!

I’ve also had would-be customers want to use vinyl on a car that had leather, to save money (admittedly more substantial money), and I’ve refused to work on the car.

I didn’t comment on it in detail as I wasn’t sure if it was member owned. I see lots of issues.

Does any one know what to this car. The poster pulled the add 2 days before the bidding was up?

what happened

Most likely someone offered the seller what he was asking for in his in reserve price and the seller pulled the auction.

Some Ebay auctions offer a best offer option on the site, perhaps someone made an offer he couldn’t refuse!…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.