Eric Rosenau

Home Page Forums General Eric Rosenau

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Just a short note to say that the PAS lost a great member and significant contributor with the passing of Eric Rosenau. Eric had been in poor health for the last year. Eric was well known for his knowledge with regards to Pierce Arrows and has worked on many of the members cars.

He will be missed.

It is with sadness that we mark Eric’s passing. My exposure was limited to exchanges at MODOC tours, but I was aware that his contributions to the Society were noteworthy. Ave atque vale!

If anyone has a link to an obituary, please share it here.

Several of us having been searching for a print media obituary without success since receiving the sad news.

In the meantime, please post your personal recollections of Eric in this thread.

Eric was the PAS Chief Judge for many years, a pre-eminent restorer of Pierce-Arrows and other extraordinarily fine vehicles, and the current consummate authority on P-A authenticity issues and mechanical techniques. He was a frequent contributor to Service Bulletins over many years. He gave freely of his time to consult with many of us on mechanical and authenticity issues. He was among the first to stop and help when one of us broke down on tour. Eric was a wonderful human being and a superb resource to all members of the PAS.

We send our deepest condolences to his family, and the message that we will always fondly and gratefully remember his superb contributions of the world of Pierce-Arrow and to the Pierce-Arrow Society.

Eric’s passing certainly is sad and a great loss to all who knew him.

His longtime friends, Al Abrahamson and Bill Lawton, have written an appropriate tribute to Eric that will appear in The Emporium in the not too distant future. Stay tuned.

I am very sorry to hear of Eric’s passing.

He was a great contributor to the PAS and, as others have mentioned, he was an invaluable resource for all things Pierce Arrow.

My deepest sympathies and condolences go out to his family.

With the passing away of fellow Otto Klausmeyer award winner and my predecessor, past chief judge, Eric Rosenau, I am compelled to say a few words about this giant of a man. No other single individual in the history of the PAS had the depth and width of knowledge that Eric had, except for maybe Otto Klausmeyer himself. Eric’s support to keeping members cars running, his technical advice, and long hands on experience was as extraordinary as it was unparalleled. Eric was quiet, so members might not have directly seen how his advice made it’s way into everyones else’s advice, he was always there as a strong undercurrent. But beyond all the technical stuff, Eric was a great human being. Having worked closely with him in the judging gave me a close insight into how honest and fair he was during this process. I extend my sympathy’s to his family, which includes his daughter, fellow PAS member and past Otto Klausmeyer award winner, Heidi Sandvik, and her husband Billy…both who carry on that great DNA.

Eric was a man for all seasons. Many talented, always helpful, always a gentleman. Without doubt the most deserving recipient ever of the Klausmyer award, his decades of experience with Pierce-Arrows and the kind spirit with which he shared it were equally legendary. Our most sincere sympathy to the family.

I had the opportunity to tour with Eric & Molly at several PAS meets. I quickly realized that Eric had probably forgotten more about Pierce-Arrows than I could ever hope to know. His knowledge of the entire range of Pierce-Arrows was amazing. My sympathies to Molly, Heidi & Billy, and the entire Rosenau family.

All of us are certainly much the better for Eric having passed our way.

I never met Eric, but he was a great help in getting my Pierce-Arrow on the road again. He helped me with parts and advise several times. He will be missed by me and others who new him for years.

Mike

I would like to add my deepest condolences to all the family and agree with all the good that has been said about his knowledge and integrity. and add a fond memory about a gathering at his home at the end of a tour over twenty years ago when we ate home made ice cream made with an ice cream maker powered by an antique stationary engine, WHAT FUN WE ALL HAD !!

We miss you Eric

Jim

The PAS has certainly lost an individual who has contributed in so many ways!

Dondolences to Heidi, Billy and the others in his family.

When I was a college student in Orange, California in 1958, I worked part-time at the local J.C. Penney store on Glassell Street. One Saturday, Eric Rosenau parked his 1929 Pierce-Arrow roadster in front of the store. I rushed outside to speak with him. He was very friendly and spoke with me about the Pierce-Arrow fame and quality. I told him about my 1930 Pierce-Arrow and the fact that I knew practically nothing about the make. He invited me to go with him to a car show in Long Beach the next day. I accepted his invitation and met him the next day. We rode in his 1920 Pierce-Arrow touring to the show. It was the first car show I had ever attended. Over the years, I kept in touch with Eric and was indebted to him for all the information and help he rendered to me with the various Pierce-Arrows I’ve owned over the years. When I served the Southern California Region as its editor and Director, I enlisted Eric to write a quarterly column about various technical aspects of Pierce-Arrows. It was one of the features members enjoyed the most. Eric was one of the great men in the old car hobby and one who will be missed very much. We are indebted in the PAS to his contributions which will continue for years to come.

I was saddened to hear of Eric’s passing this morning.

The car world has lost a treasure. My sympathy to his

family and friends.

It is over a year since Eric Rosenau’s passing. From that moment I have tried to find this photo. Today I had luck. It is from 1990 and I had just installed the engine in the chassis and fired it up for the first time since the Pierce was a wreck. There was something that did not work satisfactory. Accidentally at the same time Eric Rosenau was visiting Norway and Oslo and called me to have a look at my project. He at once found a wrong adjustment in the choke system…! After that the Pierce engine was running smothly.

Here is another one.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.