Exaust and Body

Home Page Forums General Exaust and Body

Viewing 11 posts - 21 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Thanks, I’ll give it a try. jim

For what it is worth, I did some excavation work on the 836 and was able to extract the remains of the muffler. Even though it is virtually rusted away, all the original clamps are there and the original mandrel ben head pipe is there. The muffler appears to be constructed as follows:

1. a perforated tube in the ID of the muffler, with cones on the OD (similar to what the Vet puts around a pets neck)

2. wrap of steel around the diameter of the cones.

3. another wrap of steel, I assume there is clearance

4. Asbestos wrap

5. Outer steel wrap.

Virtually all are seam crimped

I do a more careful analysis in the near future and have some dimensions.

Bill,

Is the center tube open clear through or is there a plug in the middle? Jim

Jim,

Don’t know. I ‘lol check tomorrow.

Bill

Bill

do not inhale too much lead residue!!!

Jak.

Those cones are curious. In the picture, is the exhaust input on the left or right?

Dean, they are intriguing. Air flow is from the right to the left. Intake on the right, exhaust on the left. What I have trouble with is how does the second steel layer keep from resonating against the other layers? I didn’t see any asbestos or other spacers or material.

And Jak, I am doing this with heavy gloves, respirator and glasses. The amount of rust would kind of lead you to believe the tetraethyl lead has been diminished. The Asbestos , on the other hand, is very much there and is breaking apart, so it will be dealt with and disposed of as a hazardous waste.

Many of the stainless mufflers offered for Pierce-Arrow have a very thin outer skin which results in a cackling sound.

Jim,

I checked and there are no restrictors or blocks in the pipe. Goes straight through.

Bill

Bill,

Thanks. You are pretty sure that’s an OEM muffler? What’s left of mine has the center pipe with the perferations and a divider in the center so the exhaust has to enter the body of the muffler then it goes into a cone and back into the center tube. Single wall outer shell. No idea if it’s OEM or not. Jim

Factory mufflers were stright through from the several that I have seen. I suspect that as the year progressed they could have changed suppliers or styles. It’s just a muffler after all. I am sure all I have seen are the doubble wrapped style.

Viewing 11 posts - 21 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.