Exhaust System Question

Home Page Forums General Exhaust System Question

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I need to replace the muffler and tailpipe on my 1928 Series 81. Waldron’s Antique Exhaust is listed in the vendor directory, I called them and they said they had patterns for my car, but then asked me to send my old pipes to them. In reality there is not much left of the tailpipe so I wonder how that would help. Has anyone else used them for replacement parts? I would appreciate your comments on quality and fit, etc. and also any other vendor recommendations you might have.

I used Waldron years ago. He seems to be the one who gets stuff right the most often. He has a good reputation. Tony

Unfortunately my experiece with waldron two years ago was not a good one. If interested call me for details (318.366.5112). Merlin

I suggest that you find a local muffler shop that does custom work, such as on street rods. (Rather than most chain muffler shops, which usually do relatively little custom work.) Talk to them first. See if they will install a muffler you get from Waldron or other vendor, and custom-bend the pipes from scratch for you.

For a touring restoration, I’d use aluminized pipe if available.

George

Any updates to this discussion? Our Series 81 blew out the seams of its ancient muffler so a replacement is needed. Is there something special we should look for? Comments and suggestions appreciated.

I had two mufflers made a few months ago by Classic Exhaust of Geneva, Ohio for my 1930 and 1931 Pierces. They were very heavy duty aluminized straight through mufflers, built right, not cheap glass packs. Price was $150 each. I just called with my dimensions, and they called when ready. They also do pipes, but I had those locally fabricated. I’d use them again as I was pleased with the quality. Check out their website.

Tom Barrett

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.