Finish of interior woodwork

Home Page Forums General Finish of interior woodwork

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

I am refinishing the interior woodwork of my 1930 model B Victoria. Was the original finish on the dashboard and window reveals done in satin or high gloss? I want to get this right the first time. Thanks,

Tom Barrett

Hi Tom, I think the correct finish is between your description. More of a ‘gloss’ but not ‘high’ gloss. The good original interiors appear that way, while a number of restored cars have gone for a high gloss finish.

Best of luck with your project!

John

Tom, to add to Johns info, the grain still shows in the reveals. The factory finish was NOT to fill the wood with coats and coats of varnish for a smooth finish. A correct look would still have some grain depth showing in the wood. High gloss flat finish should be avoided. Karl

I agree with Karl. I restored a very nice 1934 840 sedan back in the 70’s (a car we would now have gotten running and used, silly me and the rest of us). The original wood on the doors and rear quarters was not the high gloss, plastic look, that we so often think of now with wood. I had a good friend who was an expert on veneer, and he refinished them to an excellent look that was not overdone.

Karl describes it correctly.

I took the advice of my metal woodgraining expert and I believe my interior came out just right. He finishes the metal woodgraining with Omni Plus MC161 “High Solids Urethane Clear”, flattened to a semi-gloss with Omni M148 “Flatting Agent”. I did the same on the wood.

Would it help if I took pictures of the interior wood on my original ’29?

I know the lighting and other factors would greatly alter the appearance of the finish but I’ll take some pictures and post them if anyone is interested.

Craig,

I would be interested in seeing some photos of your ’29’s original wood finish, and I’m sure others would too.. Thanks for your help. Also, thanks to everyone for their input and advice regarding my interior wood refinish. Very helpful.

I’ll be busy this summer on all the recommissioning projects. Even hope to be able to drive it at some point.

Tom

Sounds good.

For the best available lighting, tomorrow I will pull it out of the garage and take a few shots of the various wood pieces in the driver’s area and in the rear passenger’s area.

Finally got around to getting some pictures.

Sorry it took so long but I had major PC issues at home.

Next

No.3

Craig,

Thanks for the photos of your woodwork. This will help me get the right look. By the way, I have a large supply of the countersunk finishing washers used under the screw heads. They are plated brass, nos from the old days. Anyone in need, let me know.

Again, thanks to everyone for your advice on this topic.

Tom

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.