Floor boards

Home Page Forums Body Floor boards

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I am wondering about the original materials for the front floor and toe boards on my ’35 845. I have pieced together what came with the car when I bought it in 1991. I suspect I am looking at replacements done in a restoration started in 1965 but not completed. The toe board and the front part of the front floor board are high density particle board with a thin sheet metal layer on the bottom. The floor supporting the front seat tracks is plywood that I imagine is correct.

Is this construction similar to original?

Thanks for any help, Jim

Sounds as if the floor boards are original or have been reproduced in the style of the original.

Paul, thanks for responding. Looks like I need to get some particle board.

Jim

Fiber board is a better match to the original material than particle board.

You would not be happy with particle board. It is dense and would transmit sound like a speaker cone. Some kind of sound-dampening fiber board would be much better. I used a 1/4″ plywood sandwich with sound-dampening foam between and covered the underside with sheet metal as the original.”

You can buy sound damping material with foil backing at a marine (boat) store.

It is very dense and will probably kill all of the sound that a P-A can transmit.

I used it to deaden the sound of the diesel engine when I owned a sailboat and not a Pierce-Arrow (a sailor vs. a landlubber).

It deadens sound and insulates temperature sufficiently so that I installed a blower to suck the air out of the engine compartment so that I wouldn’t bake my newly purchased and installed diesel engine.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.