FOR SALE: 1925 Series 80 4-passenger Coupe $55,000

Home Page Forums Buy/Sell FOR SALE: 1925 Series 80 4-passenger Coupe $55,000

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Message deleted by original poster

Left side of engine:

Right side of engine:

Interior:

Interior:

Sill & ID plate:

Left view:

Instrument panel:

Handsome and it drives well!

Nice car!

What a beautiful car! Tasteful colors, and a gorgeous interior.

What I need help with is how the passengers were arranged to ride in the car. I can’t see Mom riding on the front “passenger” side. She might have a bit of trouble getting comfortable in a hoop skirt. Was the front right seat left in the folded position, and Mom in the back on the right side? I imagine the mom rode in the passenger seat in my club brougham, as the passenger seat is standard size, only the back folds forward.

Thoughts?

Hi Bob, good questions, and thanks for the compliments on the excellent taste of the Chamberlains. I’m just the custodian of >20 years…

My lady prefers to ride in the right rear seat where she can still whisper in my ear while enjoying the footrest that is then positioned where the dickey seat would be in its upright position. She says that right rear seat affords an almost panoramic view and she greatly prefers the view to that from the front passenger seat in my Series 80 sedan. The dickey seat position is a bit too high and too vertical for Pierce-Arrow comfort, and we consider the dickey seat an occasional seat.

Likewise, the leftmost rear seat position is impinged upon by the Parcel Compartment, so a second person in the rear seat should be relatively slender.

So the car is best for Driver Plus One but is capable of carrying two more for short jaunts. This car has had four in it, even for PAS and other club tours, a number of times over the years, but under those circumstances a leg-stretching stop every hour or so is advised.

This seating configuration was reasonably common in upper-middle and higher end coupes of several makes until about 1927, when it was supplanted by the brougham design. Apparently an advantage perceived at the time was the unusual-at-the-time built-in trunk, which is more commodious than one would think but the use of smaller soft-sided bags gives the best utilization of space.

There exists a one-off 1937 Cadillac Fleetwood V-12 coupe with exactly the same seating configuration. By then this body style was an anachronism. The story was that the elderly widow owner ordered it this way so that she did not have to give rides to more than one or two friends home from church or social functions.. :-)

This car is designed for slinky flapper dresses, not for hoop skirts of an earlier era!

Bob, you need this car, just so I can ride in it! It is a very handsome automobile, very elegant…..

Following is a link to more than 50 photographs of this car on the Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA) website under Members’ Gallery under member name “Grimy.” You don’t need to be an AACA member to view. I’ll post photos of the extremely clean undercarriage after I get some hoist time.

http://forums.aaca.org/gallery/album/324-1925-pierce-arrow-series-80-4-pass-coupe/

Undercarriage photos follow.

If not sold before, the car will be available for inspection and test drive at the PAS Winter Meet in Palo Alto, CA February 25-28, 2016.

Greg Long has driven and wrenched on this car and can give you his analysis.

Car will be advertised in print Hemmings as of February 1.

Another undercarriage photo; more available

The car is absolutely gorgeous.

Good luck with the sale.

This is a very, very good car. Many cars I have worked on, or driven are fine restorations of formerly rather ‘rough’ cars that had plenty of rust on the frame, axles, body panels, and of course there is the issue of the wood body structure developing rot. This type of ‘rough’ car can be restored, but usually there is evidence of the condition prior to the restoration. There are just too many hidden or inaccessible surfaces that can get rusted, rust pitting, and cannot be restored and repainted.

George’s car is not an old rust-bucket. This car appears to have been a nicely preserved car that was given a very extensive and well done restoration. Eric and Bill did a wonderful job on the car. I own a car restored by Eric, and George has another Pierce that was restored by Eric, and coincidentally, also has received an award at Pebble Beach.

Every time I look this coupe over, I get the feeling that I’m looking at this car in 1930 or 1935, it just appears to be an almost new car.

If you add up the usual costs for paint, engine overhaul, nickel plating and a 100% correct wool interior, this car is free, you would be paying just for the excellent restoration, at a discount..

If anyone has questions about the car, either George or I will be happy to respond to any questions via email.

Greg Long

This is a wonderful Pierce-Arrow which has been restored to a high level of quality, and then maintained at that level. It will certainly appeal to someone who appreciates authenticity in a fine vehicle.

Rich Lange

The car has been sold. It will remain in Northern California, and we have a new member! Thanks to all for your positive comments.

George

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.