Friction disc on 1933 1247

Home Page Forums Chassis Friction disc on 1933 1247

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Well I decided to fix the brakes so they would work as they should and had Ft. Wayne clutch feline a spare brake disc. They did a nice job using kevlar. I spent the better part of two days putting the new disc in and adjusting the front and rear brake cables. The kevlar is a rather smooth material and this may be my problem . I still have the old duiscount with the original Pierce woven brake material on it which has another 1/4 inch of wear to go before the rivets. The old disc looks better than I had expected as it was dry for maybe 50 years and I was concerned about it coming apart. I have put about 200 miles on it and guess it will hold up ok. My question is what experience have you guys had with the disc and Ft. Wayne clutch. I now have no brakes at all with the new disc. The new disc is also. .10 thinner than the old one. Thanks again, Doug Vogel

Since 1972,when I relined a clutch with a soft modern material

(it worked great for awhile until it got oiled)instead of leather,I always seek original materials. In the ’80’s,a friend made a popular

switch to kevlar Model T band material.It came apart and jammed his trans-

mission,locking up his rear-end.Does Ft. Wayne have the origional

type woven brake material?

Tony

I have one of the Fort Wayne discs in my ’34 and we soaked the disc overnight in transmission oil before installing it. This softened it up so that the brakes work fine once it is warmed up. When cold the disc does not release as readily as I would like and I think that we need to put some relief grooves in the material to facilitate breaking the surface tension when releasing the brake.

Bill

Thanks Tony and Bill, I will first try the brakes again as it has now set for a week on Saturday. I also moved it so the disc would turn and have the other half in the mineral gear oil or so I hope. Doug

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.