Front Spring Shackles

Home Page Forums Chassis Front Spring Shackles

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I just bought a body and chassis which I was told a 1929 133 WB. In checking it out, I noticed the right front spring has a fixed pivot in the forward eye but the left front spring has a shackle up front, same as the rear of this spring. Looks strange as the axle is not held in place when going down the road. Is this OEM?

Dave, that’s called a “kick shackle” at the front of the left front spring (only) for the announced purpose of “reducing wheel fight” and was installed midyear in **1930.** You **may** have a frame from a 1930 Model C (132″ wheelbase) or from a 1930 Model B OPEN car (134″ wheelbase). Model B closed cars had 139″ wheelbase.

According to the 1930 parts manual, different front fenders were used beginning not with the kick shackle but about 100 cars later, perhaps indicating that there may have been some sheet metal interference under driving conditions.

If you can post some photos and give the engine number (and chassis number if it’s still there), we can probably positively identify what you have.

The 1932 Model 54 Convertible Sedan in the Pierce-Arrow Museum is lacking the kick shackle. Front end movement under firm braking is a bit scary if not prepared for it. Despite the appearance, the kick shackle certainly was an effective improvement.

What I have purchased is only the sheet metal body with fenders and hood and radiator shell along with a frame that appears to have been totally reconditioned and finished with a gloss black paint job. I have inspected every inch on all this (including the inside of the firewall) and have found no markings. Due to this situation, conversations with Texas DMV indicate the vehicle upon completion will probably be registered as “Assembled From Parts. Since I cannot afford to restore this grand vehicle, I don’t have a problem with this “AFP” designation.

Thank you George and David & Diana for your gracious response.

At this time, I see myself selling the frame and both axles.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.