fuel filler pipe connection

Home Page Forums Chassis fuel filler pipe connection

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Before I totally screw something up can someone advise as to removing the connection of the flexible filler pipe bellows fitting to the fuel tank of a ’35? It appears to be riveted but perhaps was brazed. The tank appears to be in surprisingly good shape but needs to be cleaned – has the lovely brown shellac on the bottom. The King-Seeley gauge unit is certainly an interesting artifact of ancient earth. Hopefully I can get it cleaned and workable.

Thanks

Jim Chase

It can not be removed. Do not damage it. Just remove the tank from the car and support it as not to damage it. If you want to remove it you will have to weld it back on to the tank, not an easy job. Tanks are no longer being reproduced, you will have to cut it open and blast it then close it up. Most chemicial cleaners and sealer will fail, the rust be removed, not covered over. Ed

Ed, thank for the response. The tiny size of the percolator riser tubes of the King-Seeley sender unit suggest I will never be able to clean the tank sufficient to prevent plugging those tubes. Internal rust does not appear to be an issue, just a coating of varnish and some sand on the bottom. I think plan B is to build a cylindrical mesh screen attached to the sending unit/pick-up tube with a mesh size just smaller than the riser tubes ID, and flush the inside of the tank as best as practical. Drain the tank after it gets on the road and back-flush the mesh if it gets gunked up. I will be able to access the mesh from the trunk by pulling the sending unit assembly if necessary. Fortunately the tank has a drain plug, unfortunately the head is sheared off so I’ll have to drill it out. the POR 15 system for cleaning and sealing sounds impressive, but worry it would cause more problems than good if a tank doesn’t really need it.

The bellows does get brittle from flexing for many decades, so you have to be very careful if you choose to remove the tank.

If your coating of ‘varnish’ on the tank bottom is just a coating, you might be able to use the mesh ‘sock’ around the fuel pickup and gas gauge sender as you describe. It certainly won’t hurt to try it..

Take some photos as you proceed and please share them with us.

Greg Long

Thanks Greg, I’ll take some photos but will be a while, meanwhile I am cogitating on how I will build the filter. The tank is already out and the bellows is worrisome, it doesn’t appear to be cracked, however if it is I will use miraculous Pro-Seal high temp aircraft fuel tank sealer if I can still get it. The stuff is a latter day replacement for MIL-8802 high adhesion/high temp fuel tank sealer and has the advantage over the epoxy you buy at the auto parts store of curing flexible and rubbery. 30 years ago I used it to seal the cast aluminum oil pan and glue the trunk lid to its new wooden frame on my ’36 Packard! Also has the advantage of making the garage smell like an aircraft factory.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.