fuel tank

Home Page Forums Chassis fuel tank

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

A ’35 845 2 dr sedan body and frame was listed on ebay this past week. A close-up of the gas tank sitting in the car shows a big round cap sticking up in the middle. My Club sedan tank doesn’t have this thing. Anybody have any ideas?

By the way, it went to ~$1900 that didn’t meet reserve. It is in Chino, CA, and looks like it had some good fenders plus front and rear axles.

thanks,

Jim

It’s a King Sealy sending unit. The one with the red dye that never works right.

Ed,

I thought the King Sealy sending unit is lower and to the right of what Jim is asking about. I know that a typical King Sealy sending unit has a “J” style vent tube coming out of the top of the unit, but I can’t help but think that what Jim is asking about is a better vent assembly (my guess).

I might be the exception to the rule, but after I restored my 31 Pierce Model 43 King Sealy setup (had the sending unit fixed by Atwater Kent, replaced the small diameter copper line from the sending unit to the dash unit (Ford V8 kit) and restored the dash unit myself), mine has been functional and accurate (+0 / -1 to 2 gallons) for going on 7 years now. This winter, I am planning on replacing the red fluid in the dash unit since the stuff from 7 years ago has faded almost to clear and if the car is not used for a couple of weeks, the indication level will drop back 4 or 5 gallons until I drive the car for a few miles and the gas in the tank sloshes around a bit.

John

Hi,

Whatever that is–I’ve never seen it on any Pierce gas tank. Looks something like some sort of air vent?

If you enlarge the picture-on the lower right you’ll see the “pick-up”” for the gas supply (the King Sealy) unit.

Bob”

Sorry, I didn’t look close enough, you are right. That is the vent. It has an assortment of plates inside it. It will get closed off if you use a tank sealer. Sorry…..I have glasses now but was not wearing them. Seems old age is catching up with me.

You are looking at a 1929 Pierce gastank

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.