generator

Home Page Forums General generator

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Generator doesn’t work. The windings are in bad shape. The hardware looks ok. I guess I am looking for a good generator rebuilder. Any suggestions.

Arnold Romberg, LaGrange,TX. in parts and service section under electrical

It will be cheaper to buy a good used unit than to wind and armature and probably the field coils also. There are lots of good rebuilders, but only a few companies that will hand wind and armature or field coils. Almost all of them sub out that work. Last time I was told 1200.00 to rewind the armature on a late series car. Look for a good used unit, you will find one. The car will drive for hours no problem on a good battery. Don’t be afraid to use the car even if it is not charging. No reason to lose the car for the summer. Ed.

Kenneth,

How did you determine that the generator is bad? Sometimes the generator cutout relay can be open and not allow charging current to reach the battery. Have you been able to rule out the cutout relay as the problem?

Chris Diekman

Ken,

Call Doug at Vogel Electric in Bakersfield. He can do anything necessary to restore your generator including winding the armature or field coils. He doesn’t sub out anything. He does excellent work and in my experience his prices are very reasonable. He won’t say that you need work that doesn’t need to be done. He will test everything before he starts so that you will know exactly what is needed.

Steve

There is no voltage from the generator to the cutout. The insulation is falling off the field windings and the winding are falling apart. Insulation appears to be coming off the armature also. It is a 1927 series 80 with lots of miles on it. It is in good shape except the generator.

Ken,

I believe that i have a spare generator, but it is a DeJon.

It will fit and work with your Series 80, even if it is not a Delco.

It was rebuilt a few years ago but never installed because I have a rebuilt Delco generator.

DeJon made high end electrical equipment for our cars in the 1920s anyway.

I will check tomorrow and you can determine if you have interest and I will think about selling it.

Send me an email at [email protected]

Peter

Ken,

If it turns out that you need to repair instead of replace, I have had good results for generator work at Burton L. Norton Co. in Grand Rapids, MI. They were very helpful, and the quality of the work was excellent.

Joe Morgan

Thanks to P-A members help my Runabout is able to run about again. Ken Downing

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.