head light len

Home Page Forums Body head light len

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

i would like to know if the 1930 model C used a flat headlight lens or concave….Ed

Ed, attached is a photo which shows what I believe is an original headlight lens on a 1930 Model C sedan I owned from 1995 to 2006. I hope the resolution is good enough to be helpful.

Hello Ed,

1930 lenses were neither flat nor concave (bowed in). They were slightly convex, or in other words bowed outward. They were “TWOLITE” brand.

Happy Motoring,

Chris Diekman

ED, Running production changes of many parts for 1929 and 1930 Pierces make the judging at Meets a little difficult, however the 1929 late production cars no longer used the flat McKeelite lens and went to part number 733247, the flat twolite lens,(page 30 of parts book). The 1930 parts book clearly shows on page 55 that the same part number is shown for 1930. My green 5 passenger sedan is the lowest vin. numbered car in the roster for 1930 and has the flat twolite lens. Research has never come up with a date for the running change in 1930 to convex twolite lens part number 736988 however all later cars from 1930 have the convex lens. So… I guess you would have to say everyone is correct, and because we don’t judge 1930 by months of manufacture like they do Model A Fords the lower the vin. number, the earlier the date of manufacture, the more likely it left with flat lens. The lens interchange in the bezels without any problem. The 1930 parts book shows the lens for A,B,and C without any additional breakdown. I hope this helps answer the question. Karl

The lens shown looks just like mine. It does not have Pierce Arrow on it. The Ford version is interchangeable, but the lens pattern on the bottom half is somewhat different and the word FORD is found on the very bottom, I have never taken the lens out and compared the edge/rim numbers with the shop manual. My model C sedan was made about May or June.

The Model C in the photo was thought to be a late June car.

If the lens in the photo is a TwoLite isn’t it installed upside down?

Convex, Ed. As for right side up or upside down, I don’t know, Craig. It attended 4 PAS meets during the 10 years I owned it and no one ever commented on that. (And they did comment on other items that needed correcting!)

One of my lenses is a FORD. It has FORD printed at the bottom of the lens in the the proper way with the letters in a normal ‘right side up’ format. Both lenses (one is a Pierce) have the heavy fluting at the top just like yours.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.