Headlight reflectors

Home Page Forums Body Headlight reflectors

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I am thinking of writing a PASB article on restoring headlamp reflectors for later PAs.

Q1. I have two pair of 1930 reflectors. One has four holes drilled in the reflectors about one inch in from the edge. Anybody know why?

Q2. The 1929 reflectors are deep (10 inches?) and the 1930 (and 31?) are shalllow (4 inches or so). Anyone know why the change?

Q3. I see in a PASB of a few years back that the Uvira people don;t do headlight reflector renewal anymore. Who does?

Thanks,

Arnold

I work with stage lighting equipment a lot. The reflectors on my gear are aluminum, and I had my Pierce lenses aluminised also. Some have tried chrome plating, but those reflectors don’t reflect well. Silver gives the brightest results, will tarnish after awhile. Hope this provides some useful thought.

The headlamp lenses on the 30 are convex, aren’t they?

I know the 29’s are flat so that may explain the deeper reflector.

The way light is focused through the lens will vary with a curved or a straight lens.

As for the mystery holes, maybe they were used in a car that had a sealed beam retrofit?

I have a 1924 Pierce Arrow Bus. Z chassy. It has deep reflectors. I need a pair of new ones and also need the bezeles.

Jerry Turner 509-226-3522 Nostalgic Reflections

http://www.NostalgicReflections.com

Regarding the headlamp reflectors used on the 1929 133-143 automobiles:

The 1929 cars until around October of 1929 used a very deep reflector like the earlier cars with a McKeelite lens.These lamps used a single filament #1129 21cp bulb with a resistance dimming system.The lamps were then changed to a more shallow reflector with a twin filament #1110 21-21cp bulb with a double dip system and a Twolite lens.The reflectors should be silver plated.The reason for this change was to give a more usable low beam light.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.