Hemmings Article on Packard Museum Fire

Home Page Forums General Hemmings Article on Packard Museum Fire

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I realize this is not PAS related, but it should be of interest to many as there are a number of folks who own one of the other “P” cars, namely Packard. It is sad to see any antique cars destroyed in any way. I remember hearing about a fire at one of Reggie Jackson’s storage warehouses some years back, and he lost a number of fuel injected tri-five chevy’s. I am a Ford guy, but still hated to hear there were dozens of perfect cars destroyed by a fire. I guess the takeaway from this is to make sure we all have our cars protected as well as possible from fire during storage.

Stuart, how close is this to you? The TV call letters are not from Cincinnati, as I remember.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2015/11/18/fire-destroys-cars-at-americas-packard-museum-secondary-facility/?refer=news

Bob,

Dayton is 60 miles north of Cincinnati. It should be noted this fire was NOT at the America’s Packard Museum building on South Ludlow St. just south of downtown – but instead at a storage building several miles away. I believe a number of parts cars and perhaps duplicates of cars on display were stored there.

Also, the Packard Museum’s huge spare parts inventory is stored on the second floor of the South Ludlow St. building and in the annex building behind it, and again these buildings were NOT involved in the fire.

Coverage in the Dayton Daily News of this fire has been sparse other than vandalism or arson is suspected. As more information becomes available, we’ll post it to this item.

Lastly, as a Packard owner, this is a sad loss but should be a reminder of fire safety around our old cars plus the need to have several fully charged fire extinguishers in the garage.

Stu

Update: There has been no additional “news” on this subject either in the Dayton Daily News or on the internet.

In the interim, I’ve spoken with several Dayton-area PAC Club members who have confirmed that this storage building which burned contained mostly 1950’s parts cars and NO cars from the museum.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.