High Speed Rear End Gears poll

Home Page Forums Chassis High Speed Rear End Gears poll

• This topic has 25 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by .
Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Here’s the coast side photo.

Bill,

Ed Linn told me that the adjustment has to be the exact amount shown on the gearset and that any other attempt to adjust simply will not work! He basically poo-poo’d any attempt to set up the gears using pattern. I’m not smart enough to understand either part of this discussion on set-up!Ed is Phil Bray’s ‘go to’ guy for any gear problems and has lots of experience.

Last summer Phil proposed that I take my car to Ed and Phil would pay the labor if any fault was found with the gearset. I never did that because Ed said that given the 2,000 plus miles on the gearset since Scott installed it, there was no way that Ed could ever determine ‘for certain’if the problem was with the gears or the installation. In that scenario he wasn’t optimistic about Phil’s likely willingness to actually pay the bill.

I have confidence in both Scott and Ed, but will always believe that improper lapping is what we all should watch out for with these gearsets. Anything prior to 2010 should be suspect. I don’t know the gearset number on mine, but it was purchased somewhere in the 2004-2005 period. And you know about the off-throttle noise that we have with my 1247.

If you take it to Ed to have it installed, it will come out right as he will handle any issues with Phil until it is correct. Otherwise it seems to be something of a gamble.

Other than with P-A’s the only complaints I have ever heard about Phil Bray’s gears have been price related, so hopefully going forward there will be no more problems.

I think the 3.85 is a good choice for the 8. If I could snap my fingers and do it over with the 12 I’d choose the taller ratio as the car still has gobs of power in normal driving with the 3.85.

Good luck!

Dave

Bill,

The pinion must be installed to the correct depth that is specified on the end of the gear otherwise it will not work.

If the pinion is installed at the correct depth, and there is still a problem, then Phil will take care of it.

But to Ed’s experience, when they are installed to the correct depth, they work.

If you have any questions call Ed linn 248-797-8781

I guess I did not respond to this topic. I have a set of Phil Hill’s gears in my ’31 model 42 convertible. Arlo Bo installed them, many years ago, and no problems.

I owe you an update. We’ve put about 50 miles on the gears and they seem fine. I hear a little high pitched whine from them at about 27 mph, but I quickly drive through it and the sound goes away. At 50 mph or so I don’t hear anything. So far, so good. If anything changes for the bad, I’ll report back, but I don’t expect it.

Reminder: Mine is a first run set of gears and your results may vary.

Ed Minnie: I’m speculating that your two sets are probably good.

Bill

That makes me feel good. I will be installing one of my sets in the next few months. I will post my result. Ed

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.