History of bracket headlamps

Home Page Forums General History of bracket headlamps

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Could someone give me a confident (authoritative) history of Pierce Arrow using bracket or “New York” headlamps?

What I know is that New York legislated that the spacing between headlights could be only such-and-such distance, which necessitated Pierce Arrow to provide bracket lamps after they began the fender-mounted headlamps. Such a law I’ve always found to be rather odd with Pierce Arrow being such a prominent New York-built automobile.

Now, what I don’t know is:

1) Was this New York State as a whole, or just New York City?

2) Why did New York do this when no other state did?

3) When did this legislation begin?

4) How long did it last? ie: When was it legal to put headlights on the fenders in New York?

5) Did Pierce Arrow offer bracket headlamps right through to the end of production in 1938?

You do see quite a few examples of bracket headlamps in the 1920’s, especially on the Models 33 and 36. They aren’t as distinctive as fender lamps, but being big they do look good. They are very imposing and impressive.

Thanks for the history lesson —- Scott

Cars sold to European markets also had Bracket headlights. Something about the extra wide headlight placement was confusing to oncoming vehicles, and not only annoying, but also dangerous. As soon as Pierce-Arrow went out of business, the industry almost univerally switced to fender mounted headlights.

My understanding of the circumstances is that the ban on fender lights was a New York City deal…something about NYC’s simultaneous disdain and jealously for things Upstate, (which of course would never exist today!). Also, I believe that Pierce actually obtained a twenty-year patent on the fender lamp in 1912. When that expired in 1933, other manufacturers began to incorporate that styling feature into their designs.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.