Hood corners revisited

Home Page Forums Body Hood corners revisited

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hood corners for 1929-30 Pierce Arrows

While I was looking at my 1929 and 1930 parts books I find the part numbers for early 1929’s are different than the later 1929’s. The later 1929 part numbers continue into 1930 unchanged for all models. I have four unrestored hoods on the shelf, they all have the rusty rivets from the original corner pads, but absolutely nothing else. If they had a rubber molded corner with an inner brass or iron support some of that inner support would surely be left on one of the corners. The parts book for 1929 and 1930 lists them as molded rubber. It should be noted that the rivet holes are not punched at the same place on the hoods front to rear. This also continues for 1930 with the holes in different locations front to rear.

1929 left part #125532 Right #124367 thru:

before car #2004946 133in w/base

before car #3001162 143in w/base

Late ’29 & 1930 part numbers now address the different locations of the holes by selling four different parts. They must have been molded and pre-drilled for the four locations at the factory.

left rear 731690

right rear 731689

left front731688

right front 731687

So now what do we do to update our cars? Molds to make all these parts would be extremely expensive. I have gone back to the Amish and had them make soft leather corners in black. They can be dampened with water and riveted in place. Clamped till dry they will mold to the hood and protect our hoods for years to come.

4 corners $25.00 plus shipping ($3.50 in the USA). Questions, e-mail me. Thanks, Karl Krouch Sr.

On my 1931, the rear corner pieces have to be larger than the front pieces, as the molding at the bottom edge of the hood widens as it goes to the rear. This also results in the rivet hole being in a different location.

Are the ones you’ve had sewn all the same size, or, asked another way, what are dimensions?

thanks dc

David, I will check the 1931 parts book and see if the numbers change for those 1931 hoods. (I did not look at 1931 prior to manufacturing them as I only own ’29s and ’30s). These hood corners would work for a lot of vehicles in addition to Pierce that use a larger corner. I checked the A ford parts catalogs before making them and they are 1/2 inch shorter and not suitable for Pierce. Size was determined based on the “rust” marks on my unrestored hoods. We are not talking fine art here, we are trying to just keep production cars moving down the road at an affordable cost. As stated before no one will want to make molded leather corners due to the mold costs. Thanks for your interest, Karl

Karl I installed the corners on my ’30 and I am very happy with how they turned out. Thanks for making them.

Dave

I installed them on my 1928 Pierce S81. They look great. The brads (included) were a bit hard to open so I used brass brads. Fantastic looking. Thanks again Karl.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.