Hood Orrnament Question

Home Page Forums General Hood Orrnament Question

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Ken,

Nice cap, where did you find it or did it come with the mascot?

Is is stainless?

Peter

Terry, I can not tell if your wheel is chrome or nickel, if chrome, any plater can dip the part and remove the chrome. Drill a cap, install and enjoy. I have never seen an open wheel for sale like mine. I showed it to a casting foundry and they told me it was 3 separate parts and without removal of the script from both sides first any castings from my original would not turn out well. I quickly said never mind. If I found a broken one I might un-solder the script and try to make a few. Karl

Karl

The Harrolds Motor Car Co. of New York City (Manhattan) produced mascots for Pierce-Arrow cars to be mounted on the radiator cap. There were several varieties of these in the design of a wheel and tire with an arrow running through it with “Pierce”” script in the center. These were produced in the teens (if not earlier) until some time in the 20’s. Plating is nickel.”

For some reason I seem to remember a original photo dated 1919 with a similar “wheel” mascot, not sure the year of the car that was in the photo. I am sure I have never seen one in a photo dated earlier than 1919, but I can’t be sure of the actual date of the one that is sparking my memory. It would be great to se an ad or photo pre Great War to document them. Anyone have any thoughts? Ed

The following is quoted from PAS Service Bulletin 75-2. “The wheel cap ornament was introduced by Harrolds Motor Company of New York and sold for four dollars about 1906 and used by owners variously thereafter until about 1920.”” I have seen photos of cars with the ornament from 4th Series to Series 33 and 80.”

Hello Peter,

I believe it is Stainless. It doesn’t get hot though like you would expect Stainless to get. Here is a picture of the bottom side.

I am still in need of another cap that I can mount my Moto Meter to. If anyone has one that I can purchase I would appreciate it. It would be helpful if the hole is already drilled.

Another picture of the side threads.

Thanks Paul! That’s much earlier than I would have guessed.

Gents,

The William C. Williams Mascot Book, Volume-II, indicates that the “The factory standard mascot was the Wheel & Arrow similar to the 1916 design.””

Peter”

Gents,

Here is a photo of the 1905 Pierce mascot (William C. Williams, Volume #1.

Peter

Peter: With all due respect to William C. Williams, the two mascots in the photos are Harrolds mascots and were not offered by the Pierce-Arrow factory.

Paul,

The W. C. W. books do not state that either of the two mascots shown directly above were produced by the PAMCC.

There is no maker listed.

I understand that Harrolds produced P-A mascots, and further, I expect that they did so under license from the PAMCC.

I put the photos on this message thread to illustrate different “wheel-type” mascots, including their stated dates of production.

It is general information.

Cheers,

Peter

My early script closed wheel looks like the 1905 wheel peter posted from the Williams book, but mine has the arrow. There is an air gap between the wheel and the script which is difficult to see in the photo I posted. This is what would make all attempts to make a one piece repro look bad. Karl

Karl,

So you are saying that there is an air space / gap between the script PIERCE and where it is connected to the arrow / wheel.

It was either cast in pieces and assembled or cast in one piece by a very sophisticated foundry / casting craftsman.

I could see that gap when I opened the photo and enlarged it.

Very interesting.

Peter

Gents,

You may be interested in checking out this eBay piece.

Someone better buy it soon!

Peter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1914-1922-PIERCE-ARROW-Radiator-Mascot-Hood-Ornament-Rare/113297021019?hash=item1a6107585b:g:HdMAAOSwNNVbAIhm:rk:33:pf:0

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.