How to remove a ignition switch cylinder?

Home Page Forums Body How to remove a ignition switch cylinder?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

1930 Model B. how do I get the ignition switch cylinder out of the column drop?

I believe if you look underneath the column drop, to the side and under the switch cylinder, you’ll see the head of a pin. This is a drive pin that wedges to the cylinder and locks it in place. I believe this needs to be drilled out for the cylinder to be removed.

If I’m wrong expect I’ll be corrected quickly….

It isn’t a pin, but a set screw. See B in the photo. The pin is one inch long. The top half is 10-32 thread and the bottom is a smooth pin, the same size as a #22 drill. It is often difficult to get out. If you drill it, use a #22 drill, center it in the pin, and drill a little over an inch. Then use a #21 drill to enlarge the top half inch of the hole Then tap that half inch with a 10-32 tap. Make a new pin from a brass or stainless 10-32 screw one inch long. Turn the bottom half down to about 0.155 (diameter of the #22 drill). Cut off the head and saw a slot in it.

The other pin C for the lock lever is probably not a problem. I suggest replacing the lever D. I think Dave Murray has replacements. The original is probably very brittle.

The pins A that hold the cover for the position indicator can be pried out, and replaced, if necessary with cut off brass nails.

I have a few replacement parts if you need them.

A beautiful example of how to do the job. One photo is worth a thousand words! WELL DONE ARNOLD!! jak.

Excellent! Well done…

I forgot to mention that Dave Murray also has (or used to have) replacement lock cylinders. If he can’t supply it, I have an extra (new) one.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.