I’d this car in photo please.

Home Page Forums General I’d this car in photo please.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Ok, I think I know what this car is, but I would like the members to chime in. Please give year, series, body style, and body builder. I have a good reason for asking, I’ll tell you after we get some answers. Ed.

Hi Ed, I can’t enlarge the pic but I’ll take a crack:

1933, 1247 (I think it’s the long wheel base) Convertible Sedan, Lebaron

John

Based on the trees I guess it is in North or South Carolina or Georgia

I agree with John, it has all the characteristics of a LeBaron body…and at least the hubcaps are 12, would have to assume the engine is too!

From the angle of the shadow and the tree bark, I’d say picture was taken on a Tuesday, just to add to Mr. Lyons reply….

Based on my years in Winchester, I know it isn’t there. No Apple trees.

I’m thinking it is not a long wheelbase. It has a ’33 hood, and has the 1236 or 1239 slanted radiator. The 1247’s had left-over ’32 radiator shell with a near-vertical profile.

The rear door is quite short, which is another hint to me that the car is not a long wheelbase car.

As for the body maker? Probaby LeBaron, but it is difficult to tell without more photos to look at.

Greg makes a good point on the shutter angle. I can’t tell by the picture, but if that’s a single bar, not a split bumper, it’s 1236.

Correct, no apple trees in picture! When we bought our house in Winchester, it was in a subdivision built in an old orchard. We had 17 apple trees on our property, York and Golden. Being new to the area, we thought that was great, until we found out that one, we couldn’t eat that many apples and two, you can’t give them away in an area full of such trees. Then, the bad ones fall, attracting bees, bees get sugar drunk on rotting, smelling apples, all in all not a fun environment. We now have the remains of one tree, the rest gone. Found that apple trees have a very shallow root system, very easy to pull out of ground with Suburban and a long chain!

Wish that car were in Winchester with me! LeBaron shops made the Pierce production convertible sedans, delivered in white to the factory (I know earlier, still in ’33?), and to me this car has the styling cues of a production car, along with the heavy hinges which, while not exclusive to LeBaron, are one of the first things you look for. There’s no heavy styling here, no V windshield or other large deviant from a standard body, so in my mind sure lean to LeBaron….

David,

We used to go “parking”” in those orchards until a friend tore out the bottom of a new Mustang on a stump.

Enjoy the Apple Blossom Festival.

Bill”

Is that the 1933 Model 1236/9 convertible sedan that Tom Lester had in his collection’s salesroom in Deerfield Beach some years ago? I seem to remember it was upholstered in blue leather then.

The Pierce catalog did not say who the body builder was but now everyone likes to point out LeBaron made it.

Brooks

Brooks

Is that the 1933 Model 1236/9 convertible sedan that Tom Lester had in his collection’s salesroom in Deerfield Beach some years ago? I seem to remember it was upholstered in blue leather then.

The Pierce catalog did not say who the body builder was but now everyone likes to point out LeBaron made it.

Brooks

Brooks

Brooks

Brooks

Hi Guys,

The car looks like a 1933 1236 convertible sedan, Pierce body, very similar to the only 1934 1240A convertible sedan, green, belonging to Mr. Gillet, which won last year’s Weis trophy.

Bob

Good call Bob.

I had the opportunity to judge the Gillet car in Buffalo-it was amazing inside and out.

John

I saw the Gillet car at the AACA meeting in Philadelphia last month, amazing is putting it mildly, what a beautiful car and what fantastic workmanship on the restoration.

I noticed the car had bumpers that were not standard 1934 three piece with middle dip, but rather a one piece straight. Was that a feature of some of the 12’s, or a feature with a “custom” body, or?

The vehicle is a 1933 836 or 1236 convertible sedan with PA body similar to the Arrow cover car series 85-model 2. Can’t observe small emblems or hubcaps to determine whether 8 or 12. The 1934 convertible sedan that won the Weis trophy has a mix of 1933 and 1934 features and was debated when Ted Case owned the car.

The convertible sedan was introduced mid year. One like this was for sale at Hershey flea market years ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.