Identification, info, history needed

Home Page Forums General Identification, info, history needed

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Peter,

I’m definitely the one learning here. Pretty crazy concept of being able to afford to swap out bodies. You would think the cost for that amount of labor twice a year it would make more sense just to have 2 cars. I’ll stick to swapping out wheels & tires for the winter!

I’ve submitted for title searches on the car, so I’m hoping that might turn up something on ownership history.

Mark,

To put a few numbers to the body swap scenario:

The 1917 Saleman’s book lists the price for the Landau at $6800. Other closed cars are in the same ballpark.

It lists the price of the 7-passenger Touring at $5500.

It lists the price of an “extra” 7-Passenger Touring body at $1400

So:

Buying a Landau and an extra 7PT body to be swapped out would cost $8200.

Buying a Landau and a complete 7PT car would cost $12,300

That leaves $4100 to spend on labor to swap the bodies twice a year. One could buy A LOT of labor for $4100 in 1917!

Paul

Just for clarity, the numbers I posted above are referring to Series 4, 48HP cars (48-B-4)

Paul

When I was a kid (76 years ago) we lived in Pasadena next to a vacant lot. Many vacant lots in those days. A family would bring their Ford sedan and lift the body off. Took a half an hour. Leave it there and put a ‘waiting’ rumble-seat coupe body on it and drive away. This was a summer/winter routine.

In the realm of high priced cars,the seasonal switching of bodies was rather common.The dealers would have facilities to store the bodies for their clients.

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.