Ignition Parts Interchangeability

Home Page Forums Engine Ignition Parts Interchangeability

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I have a distributor cap, rotor, and points set for a 1928 series 81, will these also fit the series 80 back to 1925?

The cap looks like an aftermarket cap and the major issues are as follows. Does it take a flat, spring loaded / sweep-type rotor (the inside of the cap should be smooth)? Second, does it have a notch on the underside to lock it in place on the distributor cap? Additional pics should allow people to judge. The parts, if correct, are interchangeable with a Series 80.

Note that the original caps had a number on each of the spark wire connection to show which wire went to which spark plug. Also, the center wire connection, for the coil wire, is not as tall on the original as on the cap you show.

I hope that this is helpful.

Thanks Peter. I assumed it was aftermarket. The inside is flat and the rotor is as you describe. The cap has two locating notches, one under each holddown boss, see pic.

Hey Don, I believe that you are good to go!

Thanks. These items will be for sale on Ebay starting this coming Sunday.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/rusty_packard/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Link doesn’t work ??

Greg Long

Just FYI, the cap is worth about $50, the points sets sell all day long on EBAY for $35 and ditto the rotor ($35). The marketplace will determine the price. The cap is somewhat rare, but the points sets and rotor come up all of the time. Most of the Series 80 guys that I know have three lifetime’s stash of each. It is hard to wear them out when you only run your cars 500 miles per year.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.