light bulb

Home Page Forums General light bulb

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

very new to this car , the light bulb is missing from the dash lamp that is above the speedometer. car has all new original wiring,it is not clear what bulb to use , appears that the base would have to be quite long to reach ? ideas ? thank you.

The bulbs are single contact, likely bayonet, 4 to 6 candlepower and of course, 6 to 8 volts.

A 5 watt bulb would do no harm.

A NAPA store or the like, would fix you up.

If not, go to a Ford Model T website, like LaBaron Bonney.

I don’t believe that the base of the bulb needs to be especially long.

Perhaps your contact in the socket is missing the spring that is supposed to be underneath it to add tension to the bulb when installed.

Also, what is NEW ORIGINAL wiring?

If original, is is NOS? If so, you may wish to get into new plastic shielded wiring.

If it is new, it may just look original, meaning plastic shielding with a cloth cover.

The bulb for the 1920’s Pierce Arrow dash lights should be a Mazda #63 which is a 3cp bulb.The Mazda name has not been used since 1945 but #63 bulbs should be available through NAPA or the various antique car parts suppliers like Restoration Supply.They have a large supply of auto bulbs.

There is a 6cp version which is #81 but on my 1929 Pierce Arrow #81 is specified for the auxiliary headlamps.

Ric,

Check the socket for the spring that should be under the contact that touches the single contact on the bulb.

Perhaps when it was rewired someone (of course, not you) failed to inset it.

As far as the wattage goes, the P-A Wiring Guide indicates that the Series 80 dash bulb was a 4cp.

A 5-watt bulb would not be excessive, meaning that it will not run too hot.

The other point is that the only time you need it is when you drive after dark, and that likely doe not occur too often.

However, maybe you are a night owl and if so, be careful, as old car headlights are at best, dim.

Night vision goggles could be helpful and I recall one time driving at night and being pretty terrified as I drove down unlit country roads hoping to get back to the hotel in one piece.

Being that you are a Series 80 guy, be in touch if you have questions or need something for your 80.

There are a bunch of us Series 80 guys around, so we can be of help as you have questions.

Restoration Supply is a good place to find things and so are a number of the old Ford and Buick parts suppliers (for bits and pieces).

Peter

wow , thanks a lot for the ideas ! to clarify the wiring is reproduction, has cloth over a plastic insulation.looks like I am missing the spring as all I see in the socket is a brass? contact post that the wire fits into the back of with the set screw.seems like a simple problem. just trying to everything to function as it should, don’t expect to be out much at night.i am sure I will ask more questions of you guys , thanks a lot. Ric

Also , I will strive to improve my internet punctuation skills !

Ric

Restoration Supply might be able to supply a new socket.

Restoration Supply might be able to supply a new socket.

Ric,

If you have interest, i have a supply of 20s – 30s socket / wire connectors that may have springs inside them.

If you can’t find a suitable spring, be in touch with me via my email address and I will search for them and send you one if i find one.

However, any good spring will do.

Be careful about replacing the dashboard socket, as that one is special.

Take your time in getting your Series 80 to be “perfect,” as these things take time.

I suffered over the electrics in mine because it was wired incorrectly 50-years ago and it was a BEAR to get it correct.

Do you have both the Pierce-Arrow wiring and Tune-Up Guide (1913 – 1938) AND the Pierce-Arrow Parts Catalog for the Series 80 Passenger Car?

If not, you should acquire them as they are invaluable in many ways.

I spent many hours pouring over those books to get things straightened out.

The first rule in getting things straight is DO NOT ASSUME that the prior owner did it correctly.

Start from scratch, wire by wire.

Peter

William,

BTW, nice pic of your P-A in the HCCA magazine.

It is quite sweet.

Peter

Peter,

Where can I get a copy of the Pierce-Arrow wiring and Tune-Up Guide (1913 – 1938) ? I have a copy of the parts catalog for my year car.

Robert

Peter,

Thank you very much! The history on the car is most fascinating and was able to connect with a family member who remembered my car when new.I believe she has been to the 1915 Panama-Pacific Exhibition in San Francisco.It is interesting too that much of the technology we have today was around in 1914-1915.

Robert,

The Wiring & Tune-up Guide is available via the Back Issues link on this web site. Click the back issues link, scroll down past all the Arrows & Service Bulletins. Select the Wiring & Tune-Up Guide and mail in your order….

Paul

Ric,

I think that i got my Series 80 Parts Catalog from Bernie Weis, but I do not know if he is still selling it or if it is now a part of the AACA Library / Pierce-Arrow collection.

Most of our old print material went there a few years ago.

You can contact Chris Ritter, the AACA Librarian via email at: [email protected].

Peter

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.