looking for an oil pump

Home Page Forums Engine looking for an oil pump

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I am looking for an oil pump for a Pierce Arrow 1926 series 80, 6 cilinders. Please let me know if you have any information.

That oil pump rarely goes ‘bad’. Can you tell my why you need one? Usually just a good cleaning, and they will work fine.

If the end cap is scored, a machine shop can machine it smooth [surface grinder] and that will bring the pump back into spec.

If the gear tips are badly scored or maybe rust pitted or the bores in the pump body where the gears run are scored on the walls, then the pump may need to be replaced.

The square tube that connects the camshaft drive-gear to the oil pump is prone to failure, the tube splits on the corners then expands and slips on the square input gear shaft, make sure you inspect this drive-tube closely.

Greg Long

Additional info:

The Series 80, 81 engines don’t show very high oil pressure when warm. The normal oil pressure at 30-40mph is around 20-25psi. Idling, the gauge will usually indicate 0-5 psi.

This is just the way Pierce designed the engine to run. You will see much higher oil pressure when you start the engine cold, but it will drop once the oil warms up.

The oil pump has a cup-shaped screen over it, and this screen can get clogged with sludge from the bottom of the oil pan, a good cleaning will help.

Greg L

Dear Greg, thankyou for the answer, the problem is that i dont hava the pump, its gone for many years.

I would be glad to know if i can get a reproduction or If i can adapt another model of pump.

thanks for the help

David

Hi David, I’ll look around and see if I have an extra one.

Greg Long

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.