Looking for rear top rests

Home Page Forums Body Looking for rear top rests

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author

I’m new to the PAS and have a 1922 Model 33 Four Passenger Touring car. I would like to put the top down but am missing the top rest brackets at the rear corners of the body.

Does anyone have a pair they’d sell or maybe even loan so I can make a set? I’ve never seen the brackets and have no idea what they even look like.

Any help would be most appreciated!

David

My friend Tom Gandy has a same model car. Look him up in the roster and

tell him of your needs. An E.Mason also is listed as having one. If this

is not enough information, contact me here.

A. Costa

Here’s a photograph showing the top rests on the 1922 Series 33 4-pass touring that was in our care from 2005 to 2016, and is featured in this PAS article here: https://pierce-arrow.org/features/feature14/index.php

Is your car is the former Lloyd Young car? If so, congratulations on becoming the custodian of a wonderful Pierce, and welcome to the PAS!

I believe Tony Wollesen and Bob Sohl both have S33 4 pass tourings. Both are listed in the roster. Bob has been selling off some S33 and S36 parts so you might check with him. The photo is of the back of Tony’s car. Sorry it isn’t clearer. If you would like, I can take some photos of the brackets on my Series 36 7 p. They are similar, although I don’t know if they are identical as the body on my car is different. Dave

Here is are a couple of photos of the bracket on my Series 36. Looking at Tony D’s photo it looks like his is more on the side of the car and may not have as much of a bend looking from the top. It is 5/8″ in diameter. This probably not exactly like yours, but should give you and idea what to look for. Dave

Second one.

David,

Welcome to the Pierce-Arrow Society!

We are a helpful group, so no question it too dumb to ask.

We are all on a learning curve, regardless of our years of experience with Pierce-Arrow cars.

Peter

Thanks to all of you that replied with advice and photos! I had heard this was a great group to be a member of and my first posting certainly made me a believer! I promise not to be a pest.

To Tony and Pat – yes, my new Pierce was formerly Lloyd Young’s. This is my first foray in to Pierce-Arrow’s and I’m starting to soak up all I can learn about it. Lloyd did not put many miles on it in the 20 or so years he owned it and I suspect it has sat mostly idle for the last 5 or more. I plan to drive and enjoy it…so being able to put the top down is a priority!

The posted photos of the brackets are a tremendous help. Could someone measure the drop in the bracket to the resting point in the saddle? Any other measurements would be helpful as well. I have a friend that can make one and this would get him started.

Thanks all!

David

David,

Comparing photos, my Series 36 brackets look like they have more drop than the Series 33 brackets, so I don’t think my measurements would help you. I posted the photos of mine so you could get an idea of how they are made. I would suggest contacting an owner of a Series 33 4 p to get better photos and correct measurements. Contact information is listed in the Roster.

Another person you might contact is the Technical Advisor, Paul Johnson. He has a Series 33 7 pass and a lot of knowledge of Series 33/36 cars. He would be very willing to assist you.

Dave

Hi David,

Welcome!

Other people might want to chime in but you might have the top rest brackets under the front seat of the car. Pierce-Arrow really thought things through making provisions when the top was up and when it was down.

It sounds like your car might have the original “plugs” in the top down bracket holes. The top down brackets would be unscrewed and tucked under the seat or in a door compartment. This was another small detail Pierce-Arrow would do to make the lines of the body as clean as possible. When the top was to go down, the “plugs” were removed and the brackets installed.

Take a look in the compartments to see if they are still with the car. Not many cars still have both options but it was something that was done on a Series 33.

Also, check out the Library tab on the left side (above the Message Board) to see an owners manual of your car. It shows how “easy” it is to put the top down.

Have fun and enjoy your car.

Ben

Ben – Unfortunately, I have double checked every nook and cranny and haven’t found the brackets. I did find the side curtains in the luggage trunk the first go around and was surprised at that! The “plugs” are in the body rear quarters and I’ve been told that Lloyd never put the top down, so there may not be brackets anywhere. I’ll try contacting Paul Johnson, as Dave has suggested, to see if he has any advice. Thanks! David

David,

I don’t know if it is useful, but years ago, I found some things under the BACK seat of my car.

Until then, I thought that under the FRONT seat was the only place for storage.

Peter

Dear David,

I don’t know how I found this site, anything about them, or if then still even exist, but here you go (i hope it is helpful):

Welcome to the PAS and good luck,

Robert

http://antiqueautotophardware.com/

I just checked this webpage out-very interesting indeed. The copy right at the bottom says 2017, that’s better than most!

Nice find Robert.

Robert – Great connection! I just spoke to Kim Dawson and he can make a set…I just need some dimensions to give him. He is providing what he needs and I’ll post as soon as I have it. He can also make a number of other early hardware pieces and looks to be a great source! Thanks! David

David this is what is on my 1926 4 passenger touring…..Ed

a 2nd photo

My car

Thanks Ed – nice looking Pierce! The brackets look different from those in the photos above. How does the top sit relative to the rear of the seat and do you cover the top with a boot? David

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.