Looks like nothing but 10 % ethanol everywhere

Home Page Forums Engine Looks like nothing but 10 % ethanol everywhere

• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by .
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I just made a 80 mile round trip to get gas with no ethanol , oniy to be told they can’t get it any longer. What will be the effect on my 1933 v-12. I have always run pure gas in it. Everything has been rebuilt with new napa rubber etc. Thanks Doug Vogel

Do you have any marinas near you? Many marinas have pure gasoline for the boats they sell to.

You can google ‘ethanol free gasoline’ and find marinas or gas stations in your area.

Greg Long

Doug,

Having new alky compatible rubber means your primary issues are going to be driveability and economy. I recommend having John Cislak rejet your carbs to improve driveability. It isn’t a total fix, but really helped our 1247.

I’m sure he could do it for you at the Annual Meet in June if you let him know ahead of time. Hope to see you then!

Dave

Hope to see you and the 1247!

To find ethanol free gasloine, Google “Pure Gas””. At the bottom of the page is a list to states and provinces. Click on any of them to get a list of stations selling ethanol free gasoline in that state or province.”

The entire ethanol problem is complicated by the fact that the percentage of use varies by the time of year and from state to state. At least in Oregon, there can be a higher percentage of ethanol in the winter months, however, this can also vary by locations within the state. I have had no problem with either the 1924 or 1935 cars operating on the “summer” fuel even in California. That said, I opt for the pure gas when it is available. Also, I use premium grade. It doesn’t make a lot of sense with the low compression engines, however, both cars get better mileage by about three to four miles per gallon on premium which more than makes up for the higher price. Also premium keeps better during the months when the cars are not in use.

One could write a hundred pages on the new fuel and it’s problem in our old cars. To make it short and sweet, making the correct adjustments and upgrades are not terribly difficult, and once done will last a lifetime. New larger fuel lines and fittings, improvements in fuel pump kits, electric pumps, new main and idle jets for the modern fuel, as well as new air bleeds make for great improvements in start, idle, and running. At the same time the ignition system should also be upgraded and adjusted. When all work is finished correctly, the cars run as good as new, or better. Anyone wishing to experience the upgrades are invited to drive my 8 or 12 at the PAS meet and see for yourself.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.