Manifold heat control valve

Home Page Forums Engine Manifold heat control valve

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I’m wondering if the bimetallic spring on my 845 eight that controls the heat control butterfly is on backwards possibly? Also, am I missing a balance weight on the shaft? I have combed the PASB’s and cant find an answer, and I neglected to take a picture of the butterfly damper inside the manifold before I assembled it to know which way is cold and which way is hot. I also don’t find any pictures of the RH side of a 33-38 engine to tell.

The spring when heated trys to turn the damper counterclockwise which would indicate the butterfly should be horizontal in the hot position? So far the damper is fully clockwise against the stop when cold, and getting the engine warmed up does not put enough tension on the bimetallic spring to raise it off that stop.

Any help appreciated! Jim Heat valve spring

Are you able to remove that pipe plug and check the valve position, and then orient the spring? I used an endoscope and snaked it through the pipe plug access/manifold on my ’30 Model B to determine if the valve was open/closed. Had to do this because of a non-Pierce linkage connection that someone added later. (At the time the valve was also rusted in position, so needed to free it and close the heat feature.)

Nope, I tried turning the plug a while back, but seemed very stuck after some soaking and I am paranoid about applying a lot of brute force to anything on the manifold. The butterfly itself is very free and moves very easily, oddly enough.

Jim,

I think I have a couple manifolds with the spring in place.

I will check it out this weekend.

Bill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.