map light on instrument panel

Home Page Forums Body map light on instrument panel

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by .
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I am working on the instrument panel for my 1930 Dietrich bodied convertible sedan. I want to put the map light (if that is what it is called) into operation, but can’t figure out the wiring. It looks to me like a hot wire goes in the back to the light socket, and when the light is pulled out the rim of the socket is grounded to the body of the map light, turning on the bulb. The light has a half-way position. Does the light go on then? What are the two wire terminals on the side for?

What Piece models had this light installed? Any information appreciated.

I went through the same same problem on my 1930 model B a few weeks ago. The terminal on the top of the switch closest to the firewall is the hot in. Also attached to this terminal is the wire going into the back of the switch to power the ignition light. You are correct about the ground connection being made by the rim when the switch is pulled out all the way. In the center position (half way out), the other terminal on the top of the switch closest to the dash is energized to power wires going to the two instrument lights. Those two brass terminals on that top switch actually unscrew from captured nuts inside the top switch, and on mine, needed a bit of cleaning to make consistent contact. Seems like a rather complicated design to preform a simple task. I don’t think this switch was installed on all 1930 models, instead using the sliding switch mounted under the dash on the left that you asked about.

Tom Barrett

Arnold,

On my 30 B my switch doesn’t have the top switch, I have the switch under the left side of the dash like Tom mentioned. The light, I thought was an ignition switch light since you can twist it and it shines on the switch, it seemed too low for a map light. The switch on the left side is a 3 position switch center off, left for the ign/maplight right for the gauge/maplights. Doesn’t mean it’s correct but that’s the way it was so I wired it back that way. Jim

Tom and Jim — Thanks very much to you both for your prompt and very enlightening responses. I am going to try to restore the side switch by drilling out the rivets that hold it on. I can replace them with small bolts. It is interesting that we have identified several variations on the approach to switching on the exterior mounted dash lights. My 1929 club sedan has instrument panel lights mounted behind the dash that provide side illumination for the instruments. These are controlled by a switch under the dash on the right side. Do your cars have these lights, and if so, how are they switched on and off?

Arnold,

My 1930 model B does not have side lighted instruments or any indication of a switch location on the right side. It does have an unused notch and screw holes on the left side bottom edge of the dash.

Tom

Arnold,

No factory switch on the rt side of the column. That’s where I mounted 2 switches for the elec fuel pump. Jim

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.