Matching Original Paint

Home Page Forums Body Matching Original Paint

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

As a result of a recent inquiry from PAS member Tom Day about paint colors, I retrieved PASB 75-4 which gives a lot of paint formulas from 1929 to 1938, and suggests that PPG can provide information about matching Pierce original paint colors with modern automotive paint. Does anyone have any recent experience in getting help on this from PPG or other paint mfgrs?

Auto Color Library,is an internet based company.They have

paint chips for most early production cars(Pierce included).

They also claim to be able to provide matching modern paint

from the chips.I believe they carry PPG products.858-909 2110

is a number to reach them by.I’d like to hear from those

having experience with this outfit.

When trying to get original paint color help from PPG, I was told that their color files from ‘Ditz-Lac’ (which they acquired many years ago) had been ‘discarded’! I then bought 1929 & 1930 color cataloges, bought a series of color chips from Ditz-Lac, White and others.

I then decided on the color I liked best at PPG, modified it to something close to but not the same as Pierce’s Prussian Blue and created a “new color”. In the end you never can really ever have a real match. Our cars are really fantasies. There is something on all of them that is not original, but we allow it if it is ‘close’ and looks good.

I was recently involved with Tom Williams 1931 Victoria Coupe. They saved some original paint from the chassis as they rebuilt the car, and made a good attempt at copying those colors. I am satisfied that in that case we came very close to original colors. In spite of that, many of us would have chosen a more interesting color for that car. Color wise it is not a great hit, in spite of the outstanding sheet metal work and paint job.

My advice:

1 Check the 1929 and 1930 color sales catalogues and pick the general combination you like best.

2 Closed cars are usually best with dark colors, open cars with light and bright colors.

3 Don’t use lacquers – too hard to maintain.

4 Good enamels are better, and polyurethane is best, unless you are willing to go to Mexico to get Acqrilic (you spell it).

Best wishes, Bill

Hi Bill, thats good advice on paint color. Many things have changed since lead based paint and today we have to compromise on many things to get these old cars back on the road ( in our lifetime) and maintain them .Many of these paints are not compatible with each other . Research is the best before buying the paint. Best wishes, Richard.

Thanks for your responses. This info will go into a brief item in the PASB.

Arnold

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.