Mayor of Cincinnati, O. prefers Pierce-Arrow over Packard,

Home Page Forums General Mayor of Cincinnati, O. prefers Pierce-Arrow over Packard,

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Porsche, Corvette, Aston-Martin and many others.

Now Cincinnati’s auto manufacturing history may not be as rich as that of Detroit, Cleveland, Indianapolis or even Buffalo, however, the Schacht car was manufactured here from 1904-1914, Ahrens-Fox fire engines were made in the “Queen City of the West” starting in 1911, Ford assembled Model T’s here through the mid-1920’s (the factory has been beautifully restored as an office building) and GM’s local Chevrolet plant made Camaros & Firebirds through its closure in the mid-1980’s. So from all these cars, does Mark Mallory, self-professed car buff and Mayor of Cincinnati, choose one as his favorite? No, he chooses a 1931 Pierce-Arrow model 43.

The 36th Annual Ault Park Concours d’Elegance was held today in Cincinnati, featured makes included Porsche 911 (50th anniversary), Corvette (60th anniversary) and Aston-Martin (100 years). The two CCCA classes were top heavy with Packards but were balanced by George Quay’s 1927 36 Runabout plus Chris Diekman’s 1931 43 7 passenger. And from more than 200 cars at today’s Concours, representing most all U.S. and European makes, Mayor Mallory chose Chris Diekman’s Pierce-Arrow for the coveted “Mayor’s Cup Award” and personally presented the trophy to Chris and his brother Rick. George Quay also received an award for his beautiful 1927 36 Runabout which placed above many other significant Classics.

Congratulations to both Chris and George, it was great to see you and thank you for your support of the Ault Park Concours and the Juvenile Arthritis Foundation which it benefits.

Congrats Chris and George

HappY Motoring,

Rick

Chris has one of the most correct and detailed cars I have ever seen. It is a great car and he deserved to win…. Ed

Bravo, Chris! Bravo George!

Best to two Superb Pierce-Arrow Gentlemen.

Peter

Congratulations Chris and George !! Two well-deserved awards for two exceptional cars, and of course the awards reflect the hard work put in on the cars, and their meticulous attention to detail by the owners.

Greg L

More congratulations to Chris and George! As noted by several, their cars are superb restorations, impeccably maintained and detailed.

George

Stuart,

Got any photos? I’m ready to complete a “Great Lakes Archer” newsletter and I’d love to put some in it.

If so, please email to [email protected]

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill,

I’ll contact the Ault Park Concours office tomorrow, they were supposed to have had photos posted on their web-site already. Should have something to you by the end of week if that’s o-k.

Enjoyed the YouTube “Rides With Chuck interview” of you discussing your ’34, the link is attached below for those who haven’t yet seen it.

Stu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8FTLVLDF8k

Hi, Stuart,

I’ll be glad to wait for the photos.

That interview was done in 2008 just before we took off for the

Glidden tour that was based in LaCrosse, WI. The sharp eyed members will notice that I have the wrong (’29) front bumper on the car. The correct bumper was at the plater and wasn’t done in time for the show. I’d forgotten about the interview because it hadn’t appeared until now.

A postscript to that Glidden Tour. On the way home we drove through a HORRENDOUS rainstorm on the interstate. (That was the day that Chicago got eight inches of rain in an afternoon). It rained so hard that it knocked some of the paint off the front fenders. Talk about battle scars! We had almost as much water inside the car as outside. The scariest part was not knowing if anyone behind me could see me. We were all driving about 15mph. Fortunately, the car never missed a beat.

Bill

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.