metal spring covers

Home Page Forums Chassis metal spring covers

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Does anyone have any sources for repro metal leaf spring covers,or alternately do I have any chance of removing the old ones and re-installing? The leaves need to be inspected.

They are very difficult to make. You can remove and install the old ones without too many problems. Making a new set could run 40 hours or more. I would not remove them unless I was building a 100 point car. Ed

Thanks Ed, I am not concerned about cosmetics here. Years ago I restored a ’36 Packard and found bad corrosion and broken leaves under the spring covers. A broken main leaf could be very dangerous. I ended up having all new springs made – hopefully not necessary in this case. Back then (1980’s) there was a guy who reproduced the metal covers. Sounds like I can get the originals off and back on again.

Thanks, Jim

If you need any spring leaves give me a ring….. I have several sets hanging around. Good Luck, Ed

For 1929 and 1930 the covers were ‘leathers’, called Gators. I had a set made for mine. They were easy to install and remove. They laced up. I think the factory went metal after that.

I don’t know if he is still around, but he used to do spring gaiters.

RUDY’S – RUDY ROSALES, custom made gaitors, leather spring covers for leaf springs, steering & shock absorber joints, fabric coupling discs to order. 4086 E. 71, Cleveland, OH 44105 (800) 248-7839, (216) 641-7711 Fax: (216) 641-0060 [email protected]

I’ll get them apart and see where I’m at from there. Thanks for the responses. I think of the metal covers as “crab legs””. Jim”

Rudy made my leather Gators.

I can make leather spring covers for cars, but the number of measurements needed to make them fit correctly is mind boggling. I made a set for a recent AACA winner, unusual Chrysler product, and it took over 2 hours under the car to take all the measurements…and numerous hours to make the covers themselves, as the fitting, sewing, flap, grommets…all take time…

Rudy has a form to fill out that is not too time consuming to complete. My Gators were a very good fit.

He sounds like a good source for them!

James, I have a set that Rudy made for my 1932 Model 54 Club Sedan a few years ago. For many reasons, they were never used and are still in the box. It looks now as though I will not have a chance to use them. If you decide to get leather covers and if mine would fit your car, I would be happy to sell mine to you at a good discount from the current price.

Thanks for the offer. I was able to remove the metal covers without ruining them and I think I can re-install them – after I deal with the toasted Fafnir ball bearing shackles.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.