More paint Questions c’mon guys

Home Page Forums Body More paint Questions c’mon guys

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

1.Does anyone have correct diagrams of pin stripping for 1931 edl 2.In 1931 did PA’s with 2 tone paint have a laq. clear coat? 3.Was there any enamel paint used if so what type of enamel? 4.was there any fillers used like heavy primer to fill and sand scratches? 5. what type of material was used to seal roof? 6.At what percentage of any given panel is it considered a repair versus a restored panel?

You don’t have a phone number in the directory. Post you number and I’ll give you a call. Ed

1: look at factory sales brochures

2: I don’t think any car in 1931 had a clear-coat top coat of paint.. The paint was one step and rubbed out and polished.

3: I believe Pierce used Lacquer.

4. I’m sure there were fillers, at the very least several heavy, think coats of primer that was sanded down to fill scratches.

5. Not sure, some form of non-hardening tar ? Or just a properly installed top, that would seal at the perimeter.

6. Not really something to worry about? I’d say if any amount of the panel is original, it’s repaired, if all new, reatored.

Greg L

In the Pierce Arrow publication “The Story of the Pierce Arrow” which was reprinted by the Society in 1977 there is an article promoting Pierce Arrow’s painting process. They proudly quote that they have a 55 step

( YES THAT’S RIGHT —55!!) process. The steps are shown by a sketch on the right hand side of page 51. This includes 6 double coats of color! But no clear.

There is also a 31 step process described in the May 1929 Data book, Page 40. A copy of this book is available from the (I think) ACAA Library. Check in the Library section of our PAS website. Cheers

Jak G

In the early days of cars, horse coach paint processes prevailed.

There were limited colors and each coat was hand brushed. A car could

take 30 days to paint and most would fade and need to be redone in

two or so years. Because of this and horrible roads, cars lost half

their value in two years. The first auto loans(1908 or 1909) required

50% down. I think Henry Ford applied paint from a vacuum cleaner like

nozzle allowing it to collect on the floor. The body on rollers would

be put in an oven. By early 1920’s nitrocellulose was introduced. It

dried quicker. The Classic Car Club accepts “metal flake””(actually

ground oyster shells or some other mollusk) paint jobs as early as

1927.By the early ’30’s Enamel(alkyd)became dominant. Modern lacquers

happened about 1947.

The “Story of the Pierce Arrow”” was originally published in 1930. Nitrocellulose Lacquer was the go then. But 55 steps in the painting process of lacquer still is a very detailed effort. In Australia we have an Aussie word which is “”skite”” it means to brag. Pierce sure had good men back then to write superlatives in the ad copy! ie. skite. And they sure had something to skite about

Pierce Arrows!!! jak.”

In 1966, I helped a fellow paint my first car, a 1931 Chevrolet tudor sedan.

We used lacquer, which was still very much in use at the time (at least for restorations).

He would spray 3 coats, then we’d sand down the paint. Then he’d spray 3 more, and repeat. We did this 5 times, for a total of 15 coats and 5 sandings, that’s 20 steps just in the paint…and doesn’t count surface preparation and final color sanding and buffing.

I can understand that the total could reach the 40 to 50 range if each step is broken down…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.