muffler lead time

Home Page Forums General muffler lead time

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

I just received a notice that the mufflers I ordered from Waldrons are delayed again due to the backlog of orders at their manufacturer. It is looking like it will be north of 10 weeks lead time by the time they get here. I don’t know if their backlog is due to the problems of their competitor.

At any rate if you are going to need mufflers, order them early!

Jim

James, is the order for your 845?

Is Waldron making you a muffler and two resonators? I’m curious because there are a number of way to tackle these exhaust systems and I’m interested in your scheme and any input Waldron offered.

Thanks much-John

Around 2006 I ordered an exhaust Y-pipe from Waldron for our unrestored 1247 EDL. It did not fit…wasn’t even very close, but Waldron said it was a special order and was correct, so wouldn’t adjust or fix. I had one made locally using the old pipe as a pattern. Not quite as ‘pretty’ but it has served well for the last decade.

I tried for several years to sell the Waldron pipe at a huge loss, but naturally nobody wanted to gamble on being able to fix it.Several V-12 experts took one look at it and said it wasn’t useable.

I ended up throwing it in a recycling dumpster.

It should be no surprise that I would NOT RECOMMEND WALDRON for anything.

Dave

I am just having Waldron’s build the second and third mufflers. They were the only source I could find that could supply something besides a glass pack over 30″ for the last muffler now that Kepich is gone. The front “synchronizer” (resonator) that Greg Long helped me with I plan to use a round straight-through stainless mesh I can buy locally. The stainless mesh is similar to a glass pack as I understand it with minimal flow restrictions but a little more effective at damping the pulses. I will have the pipes done locally by a shop that did Harrah’s cars years ago.

I estimated the length of the #2 and #3 mufflers by scaling a picture of the bare chassis in the sales literature. Waldron’s had specs for a ’35 that didn’t seem to square with my measurements. I specified the dimensions to Waldrons.

I debated about using a straight-through for #2 as well, since I think the point of the 3 mufflers was to have different lengths tuned to different frequencies that allowed less restriction overall.

It would be interesting to see what the insides of the originals looked like.

Jim

Jim, this is good info. If you do some dissecting, please share pics!

John

Dave,

I second your motion. I had an identical problem in 2007 with a Waldron Y-pipe for my 1703. I even talked to him in person at Hershey (along with Bob Dluhy) to no avail. I eventually got a NOS original, but ate the $115.00 Waldron.

I have the rear muffler out of my 836 which has been naturally dissected (rust). There is a center tube with perforated cones every so many inches, an inner wrapper and an outer wrapper, if memory serves me., I will try to get some pics and details tomorrow .

Bill, I thought I recollected you had posted some pictures of a dissected muffler but didn’t find them.

I don’t have any originals to dissect.

After Greg Long’s discussion a few months ago I was tempted to try glass packs on all 3. They are actually pretty inexpensive so maybe down the road I will do it as a science experiment.

For anyone handling or dissecting original Pierce mufflers remember that the Pierce spec indicates asbestos lagged, so any white/gray stuff should be handled with respect. The insulation under the floor boards is also probably asbestos.

I will be using non-authentic modern muffler wrap to insulate instead.

Jim

Jim, good point on the dangers of the original parts.

PAS Service Bulletin 70-5, page 6 has the following information on the exhaust system for a Model 845: “This car used a 2 1/4″ straight-through exhaust system with three mufflers. Sizes: 6″ x 14″, 6″ x 22″ and 6″ x 30″ in this order from front to rear.” The front muffler is positioned below the fuel pump in order to provide some insulation from the exhaust pipe.

Here is the carcass of the 836 main exhaust. I will do some measurements and get some other details.

Paul, thanks. Here is what Waldron’s records showed for the specs:

“2 resonators that are round with a 6” body diameter, 18” body length with an over-all length of 24”, 2¼” ID on both the inlet and the outlet, center inlet/center outlet. 1 muffler that is round with a 6” body diameter, 36” body length with an over-all of 42”, 2¼’ ID on both the inlet and outlet, center inlet/center outlet.”

Clearly the 2 18″ length for #1 and #2 are wrong, Greg Long’s picture of an original resonator scaled out at 12-13″, so the 14″ in the 1970 PASB makes sense. Their 36″ length for #3 did seem to agree with my measurement of ~36-37″.

Meanwhile the ’34 840 service data says the total length of the three is 73″ without specifying the individual lengths of each one. Assuming they are talking about case length and not overall to the pipe ends, means a 14″ + 22″ would need a 37″ for #3, that agrees more or less with my scaling of the chassis picture.

All very confusing, in the end you “pays your money and takes your choice”!

Thanks! Jim

The exhaust seems to be made( from bottom to top in the picture) from a perforated, lock seamed tube with solid, I’d call them diffuser, cones.

I can’t tell which direction they should be oriented, but I saw no evidence of them being attached to anything but the central tube.

This tube is wrapped by an inner steel, lock seamed full length wrapper. I think there was clearance between the cones and the wrapper, which I think would indicate the bell was towards the rear allowing gas to flow around them?

Next is a sheet of our favorite mesothelioma inducing Asbestos.

Finally, an outer steel lock seamed, full length wrapper.

Here is the offending mineral.

I do have the original end cap and over the rear axle tube, but I have to move half of Atlanta to get to it. I will report more later.

Definitely does look like a “Straight-Thru-Tuned”” without any flow turning baffles for minimal pressure loss as claimed in the 1934 spec.

Thanks for digging these out!

Jim”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.