muffler source

Home Page Forums Engine muffler source

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Does anyone know a source for mufflers for my 1932 8 cyl? It takes a 48″ long 4″” dia. with 2 1/4″” inlet and outlets. I used 2- 24″” long Thrusts before and welded them together. These had the flat ends to the body but seems now the bodies taper down to the inlet/outlet size which prevents welding them together as before. The 2″” inlet/outlet size are too small and can’t handle the volume of exhaust causing the car to overheat. Any comments on this relative to overheating?”

Robert

Check out Magnaflow mufflers at Summit Racing.I bought several mufflers that were stainless steel, round, with flat ends. I don’t think they have 48 inch but they do have various shorter ones. When you search you get to pick outlet and inlet sizes and outer diameter, etc.. Nice quality.

Robert, I was going on about this on the message board a year ago on my ’35 with 3 mufflers. The only source I found for really long mufflers was Waldrons and it took 6 months or so to get them. The ’35 has 3 mufflers of straight through design for minimal back pressure. I don’t know if your ’32’s long single is of similar straight through design, but if it is and you order from Waldrons you might consider the more “aggressive” noise level as the standard I got is not straight through and has some baffling in it that will cause a little backpressure. Maybe Greg Long or someone has some experience to lend with the long singles. I would expect the internal baffling to be a bigger factor on backpressure than the pipe diameter, but Waldrons’ for one does not offer internal construction details of there long rounds.

My intermediate muffler I also got from Summit and it was pretty close to a straight through design heavy duty truck muffler. They don’t come in anything close to 48″ length, but it should be feasible to order a couple, cut them and weld them.

Jim

Consider a stock muffler intended for a Buick straight eight from the late 1940s-early 1950s. It is a long round muffler and should allow sufficient flow; also should be somewhat more available.

Bob, If they’re still in business?

Try: Silvertone Exaust

118 Cullodgn Road

Ingersoll, Ontario Canada N5C 3R1

Last time I ordered, I talked to: Don Simmons @ (519)485-1966

They can make any size muffler, just give them the info they’ll need. Price was very reasonable and a quick turn-a-round. Stainless, is an option.

Bob

Here is a site. Good lead Bob, I need to solve this problem too.

Bill

http://www.studebakervendors.com/silverto.htm

The muffler on Arthur ( 1933 Model 836 Club Sedan) has a 56″ body with recessed ends and building it yourself is not all that difficult, especially if Greg helps.

For components I have discovered Thomure Manufacturing (MO) for a) the recessed ends b)the 5″ diameter outside body of alumminized steel c) a 4.5″ diameter interior body for additional sound deadening and Cone Engineering(CA) for a) louvered 2 1/4″ flow tubes and SS wool to wrap around the louvered portions of the flow tube that will alternate with solid 21/4″ sections.

I’ve chosen to eliminate the 18″ long attenuator/ resonator of 6″ diameter that originally sat under the fuel pump albeit separated by the splash apron.No sound results yet.

Gene, I had a stainless exhaust system made for my Pierce by Kepich. They used to be in Florida but have moved to North Carolina. I believe they have patterns for lots of antiques. Their number is 336 492 5629. Since you are close by you are welcome to look at the quality.Tom

Kepich has lots of fitmemt issues, and stainless won’t sound right. Most of the Kepich exhaust systems I have dealt with have been a disappointment.

Stainless systems that I have seen are thinner gauge than OEM material. That results in a tinny sound; not pleasant.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.