Oil Pump

Home Page Forums Engine Oil Pump

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Folks,

We are 99 percent of the way to completing the engine rebuild on my ’29 Club Brougham, and we found out the new brass oil pump base I bought won’t fit. The attached picture should hopefully show the difference between the original unit and the replacement, which was sold as being for a Pierce. Does anyone have a lead on a good used or preferably a new base that fits, or someone who can machine one? The old unit is 1 inch tall, this new one is 1.25 inches. Both sizes will fit.

My direct email is [email protected], cell is 703 628-1190.

Thanks!

Bob Coates

Forgot the picture…

Another angle showing the size issue.

Would it work to have a machine shop remove the excess from one end or the other?

Hard to tell from the pics posted.

That would be considerably cheaper than having an entire unit machined.

Craig: I have a lot of oil pumps apart. I’m pretty sure I have longer gears that are in good shape.

I will look tomorrow [today] and see what i have.

Send me an email tomorrow to nudge my memory to go look for gears.

[email protected]

Greg Long

Greg, it is Bob that is looking for an oil pump. :)

But if Bob doesn’t email you I will just to jog your memory.

Thanks, Craig!

Greg, I will also jog your memory this afternoon. Have two family members in the hospital, so I need a diversion.

In thinking about making these, we figured it would be OK do use a decent grade of aluminum. Any thoughts on this, especially considering there would be at least three types of metal (cast and brass gears) in the immediate vicinity?

Hi Bob, I do not think aluminum pump gears would last very long.

I do think that aluminum would be a perfectly good material too make the pump BODY from, instead of Brass.

Many or most modern engines use aluminum for the pump body, but from my experience always use steel for the gears.

I’ll look for some long gears in an hour or two.

Greg Long

Thanks. I was thinking of the body as well, aluminum would not fare well for the gears. After checking back on the gears, they appear to be steel, not brass. I was more worried about electrolysis between the various metals.

I don’t believe electrolysis occurs in a petroleum/oil environment.

I’m not sure, i could ‘google’ it, but my belief is that electrolysis is ‘galvanic’ action between dissimilar metals in an acid-water environment.

Like a strip of steel or zinc, and a strip of copper stuck into a orange or grapefruit. It is an instant battery. BUT it won’t run your cell phone. :-)

So the brass and steel/iron / aluminum will not interact unless it is in a water/ acid solution.

Greg Long

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.