Original paint repair?

Home Page Forums Body Original paint repair?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hello I have a 1931 enclosed drive limo in completely original condition my problem has become I moved it from a dry climate to a humid climate. So now what’s happened is the black paint just around the windows in only a few places turned into potato chips and fell off. This exposed the raw steel underneath and I am afraid of rust getting underneath. So my question is I can repair with nitro lacquer but is that considered a maintenance item or is it a restoration as far as original judging is considered. Thankyou for any input R.A. Gandy

Hello Mr. Gandy,

What a lovely car! A Pierce-Arrow is a rare sight in itself, but to see a original “survivor” car in nice condition, is quite a unique pleasure!

From the picture that you have posted, at least from this angle, the car appears to be in very nice original condition.

As far as judging goes, these cars are only original once. The Pierce-Arrow Society has a special award at national meets for the best original car. It is called the R. Vale Faro Award and is to recognize the preservation of original un-restored Pierce-Arrows.

In my opinion, I think there is no problem in “touching up” small areas of bare metal to prevent rust. Owners over the many years would have often done paint touch ups to keep the car looking good. In fact, many fully restored show cars have “touch ups” in the paint as it is virtually impossible to avoid in driving and enjoying the cars.

In PAS judging school, we are taught to look past the normal “wear and tear” as our club encourages owners to drive the cars and have some fun with them. Judging is more looking for authenticity and correctness of the parts. It is hard to be more authentic and correct than a well preserved original car!

Enjoy your 1931. From a fellow 1931 owner,

Chris Diekman

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.