Original Pierce Arrow Color Resource

Home Page Forums Body Original Pierce Arrow Color Resource

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I have recently come across an excellent resource for viewing original Pierce-Arrow colors. The web site is autocolorlibrary.com and it is sponsored by TCP Global a purveyor of automotive paints and supplies. Not only can you enter your make and year of manufacture to obtain a list of correct colors (also available in the PASBs) and IM codes for those colors, but you can then also cross reference the colors via the IM code in the form of color chips with the usual caveats about selecting from small color chips and the compromise of the color in a reproduced form.

Nevertheless, it is a terrific starting point in putting together original combinations to choose from. Also, TCP is more than aware of the possible pitfalls in selecting colors from small and reproduced color chips and seems to be equipped to eliminate some of the guesswork.

I trust that I am not offering information that has been presented before.

I have been fussing over the colors to paint my ’35, and can say that I at least cannot tell from color chips or even large sheets how a car will look unless you actually paint it on the car. It is amazing how different the impression of a color is on the car than looking at a sample. I just painted a second variation of one color that was nearly indistinguishable from sheet metal strips painted the two colors as mixed. On the car the difference is striking. I now have had 10 different color samples mixed for the body color and two for the belt moldings. I have 5 different areas of the body painted with different combinations to compare. I think I finally have a combination I am happy with, but going by color chips alone would have created a very unfortunate combination.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.