Out of hibernation!…

Home Page Forums General Out of hibernation!…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Well it is a beautiful sunny 50+ degree today here in Metro Detroit and I decided to take the limo for a spin.

The big v-12 has been tucked away for winter storage now since the first flakes of snow started falling last year so today it was time to bring it to life again.

Since I do not have an electric fuel pump it took a few turns to get the big limo breathing again but once it started purring I just slowly feathered the gas and it sprang to life.

Everything seemed to be running okay when I backed it out of the garage onto the driveway, it almost seemed as if it was glad to be out after a long winters nap, much like a sleeping bear it just wanted to get moving again.

After a few successful turns around the block I decided against taking it out on the road, for there was still a layer of salt that needs a good drenching rain to be washed away yet.

But wow, to feel that big V-12 come to life again is well, I don’t have to describe it to you, you all know that felling when it’s been a while and you get back behind the wheel again.

No I’m just waiting for a good soaking rain and I’ll be full speed ahead down the road.

Happy Motoring everyone!!!…

Great to hear Curtis. Spring has arrived here in Toronto as well.

Looking forward to seeing you at the 10th anniversary of the Gathering at Gilmore.

Here in Tucson, the opposite is happening. The pleasant driving weather will be slowly slipping away over the next 6-8 weeks. My ’35 V-12 loves the cool winter days, but as the temps get up into the 90s in May, it’s not so happy. I’ll be driving in the early mornings only.

In June and July, when the days can get over 100, the first light is the time to be out on the road since it’s still in the 60s or lower 70s. This town looks like a moving car show bright and early on Sunday mornings in the summer. Everything from model Ts to hot rods to 1935 Pierce Arrows are out and about at 5:30 or 6:00 in the morning. A lot of the hot rodders don’t have any A/C, so they get out early too. By 8:00 all the rods and classics are back in their garages and the streets are full of boring, normal cars with the windows rolled up and the A/C on.

Well, here in Michigan we are all waiting for those warmer days to come but, like you in Tuscon, when those days happen, we all start complaining about how hot it is, then we kick on the air and stay huddled in our homes all day until the sun goes down.

As I am used to everyone saying, “It’s not the heat, but the humidity that makes it so miserable.” Well 90 degrees is 90 degrees whether it is humid or not and I don’t think any classic car likes that kind of weather.

Although when we drove back from the Gathering last year, temps were in the high 80’s with no wind and pretty humid. We drove 1-96 all the way home doing roughly 55 all the way without a hiccup, though the temp gauge was very close to the critical point a few times.

We got lucky though, had there been any construction and long delays we probably would not have made it in those conditions without overheating.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.