P-A War Memorial

Home Page Forums General P-A War Memorial

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Folks, while I could not make the meet this year in Buffalo, I did go to the meet in 2001, and while I saw first hand how the WWI P-A memorial on the building looked then, judging from the photo enclosed from the latest meet now, it looks to be in much worse shape.

As “keepers” of the Pierce-Arrow marque, is it not our sacred duty to see that the objects associated with the Pierce-Arrow building are kept up for future generations?… Why then has there been no effort made to restore the WWI memorial? At the rate of oxidation the statue is incurring it will be completely illegible in a few years. Why not put together a fund to look into it’s restoration?…Is there anyone in the PAS who has any experience with bronze works?… or know someone who does?…I say we start a donation fund with the purpose of restoring the WWI P-A memorial…. Who’s with me?…

Hello Curtis,

This is an excellent idea. Since 11/05, the admin. building, to which the memorial is affixed, has been owned by Pierce-Arrow Holdings, LLC, see bottom of attached link, and any restoration efforts would involve cooperation with this entity. Perhaps including the Buffalo History Museum in the discussion may expedite interest (plus City, County or State funding) for this project. Do any PAS members have any contact with this group?

http://wnyheritagepress.org/photos_week_2005/pierce_arrow/pierce_arrow.htm

Separately, during last week’s visit to the plant, I noticed a small historical marker now missing from the above the Admin Building main entrance door which stated:

“Pierce-Arrow, Famous Quality Car built here 1901-1936 (sic), Buffalo Automobile Dealers Association, 1959”

And if the Buffalo History Museum is to be contacted regarding preservation of the WW I memorial (above), the subject of installing a New York State Historical Marker (see link), with expanded & corrected verbiage, to replace the 1959 Auto Dealers sign, could also be discussed. Additional PAS comments and suggestions are encouraged.

http://www.nysm.nysed.gov/services/marker/srvmarker.html

Thank you Stuart for the above links, however, ran into a dead end on the P-A Holdings LLC Co. phone number listed rings once then disconnects after a minute of silence. (fax number perhaps?)… anyway I was also contacted by Mike & Pat McCumber and they suggested contacting Forest Lawn in Buffalo to discuss if they have the tools necessary to restore the monument. If anyone else can find a way to contact the P-A Holdings Co. please let me know. Thank you.

Curtiss

Okay, just spoke with Jim over at the Buffalo Transportation Museum and he said to send him an email at [email protected] and let him know you are interested in seeing the monument cleaned, the more people that write, the more attention he can get with the owners of the building to get this looked into. Thank you everyone for your interest in this matter, hopefully we ca get this thing rolling.

Curtis,

A quick search of Erie County R/E records for 1695 Elmwood disclosed:

Pierce-Arrow Holdings, LLC, 984 45th St., Brooklyn, NY 11219

A further Google search turned-up one phone number which is the fax line you mentioned, so a letter may need to be written.

Stu

Curtis,

The Buffalo History Museum may take an interest in this restoration / preservation project, too.

Interesting website, with an extensive staff including several special projects curators / coordinators.

But as you’ve stated, the first priority is to obtain permission from the building owner to proceed.

Stu

http://www.buffalohistory.org/Contact/Museum-Staff.aspx

Jim Sandoro sent me an email today stating he is going to have a copper expert look at the memorial and see what it would take to get it cleaned. He stated it might take a month or so but he will keep me posted.

Curtis, we’ll all look forward to your update on this subject. Thanks for taking the initiative for this P-A preservation effort. Stu

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.