Paint Color for 836-A

Home Page Forums Body Paint Color for 836-A

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Here we go again. The wife and I are considering possible colors for our 836-A salon model.

I have a copy of “The Arrow series 75-Model 3” that has much information regarding the 836-A including the colors that were available.

They are listed as: Black,

P. A. Blue Deep, IM-961

Thessalon Green, IM-1204

Everglade Green, IM-508

P. A. Maroon Light, IM-429

Stone, IM-1285

Ocean Gray Dark, IM-1182

Bayard Dark, IM-1298

Harbor Mist, IM-IM-1160

Bristol Beige, IM-1375

I was able to find the Imron numbers and color chips for each color however the chips show up very poorly.

I do have a copy of the original 836-A sales literature that states that four addition colors were available on the Salon models. I am wondering if those four colors are included in the list above or if there were an additional four colors that are not listed here. I have not been able to determine that.

I really would like to use one of the original color but what I see here does not really turn my crank.

If anyone has a car that is painted one of these colors; I would like to see a picture of it that may help me decide ( my wife too).

I am planning on getting samples of several of the colors and spraying on primed sheet metal so that we can get a better view of what each looks like.

Does anyone have any suggestions or favorites?

Calvin, any color that is in good taste is fine. It’s your car, enjoy it the way you like. Period appropriate colors usually look best. Then again, I painted my 1936 Twelve a rather bright blue. I still like it twenty five years later. Some of the old timers didn’t approve. I still like it……and I wrote the check. I tried no less then seven shades before I had the look that I wanted. Paint a few old fenders or panels or better yet, spray some paint on the car before you do the body. Use google images, type in packard, Cadillac, Lincoln, ect…….you will find something. I would be sensitive to metallics as often they don’t look good on mid thirties cars. Good luck!

If you love the color, you’ll love the car. If you don’t like the color, you won’t love the car.

Our 1936 is a beige w/accent that I love and the reason I bought the car, but I don’t think that it was a standard factory color. Only after the purchase did I find out that J.B Nethercutt had a 1936 sedan done in the exact colors. If it was OK for his tastes, I’ll laugh at any criticism and continue to love it.

Make yourselves happy!

Dave

Calvin –

The AACA Library in Hershey has some color chips and mixing formulas; they could scan chips and email them.

There was a handsome 836A four-door sedan in gray at the 2001 meet in Buffalo, reminding Edsel Ford’s liked many gray shades for his Lincolns. So, you might like to check some 1930’s Lincoln colors, as well. The first Continental convertible was in a darker gray but the first coupe was in a mid-gray. You may see a difference, too, depending on what wheels and tires you use.

Good luck

Brooks

My first Pierce, a 1934 840 sedan, was a very nice medium gray (possibly the Harbor Mist?), just about like the gray primer used today…it was a wonderful original car that fell victim to the 1970’s restoration craze (mea culpa)…the original paint was so nice that when I put the untouched body on the restored frame, people would say “wow, that primer is shiny”…..I’ll try to dig up a picture in my spare time, meanwhile back to work on the identical car in my garage!

We are leaning toward the Bristol beige color combination colors. the body was Bristol beige light and the fenders were Bristol beige dark. this was the only two tone paint color listed. The pin stripe is listed as Piping Rock Green.

My question is does anyone know what shade of green Piping rock green is?

I have not been able to discover that information. Was it a light green, John Deere Green or a dark green? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Calvin

I went to my files, and wouldn’t you know it, I have the color charts for 1933 (lower) and 1935 (upper), but no chart for 1934.

No Piping Rock Green is listed on either chart. There’s 1935 Moss Green Light, P.A. Green Light, P.A. Green Dark. There’s 1933 Brewster Green, Evergreen, Jade Green.

My first 1936 1601 conv. cpe. was painted to Pierce maroon formula. I thought it a rather ugly color. Mixing paint for later touchup is also difficult to match. For the convertible sedan, I used a non-metallic 82 Chrysler maroon, to my (and many others) liking. Moreover, this color will always be available for replacement in a “factory pack”””

http://

Tony, I agree, I’d use a modern color before trying to make an exact match of original. For solid colors, a paint store will have a “fleet” color book, with just about any hue imaginable.

As seen in the picture of the factory suggested colors, Pierce was very conservative in color choices. Even though these were generated by the “Pierce Arrow Color Styling and Tailoring [Department]”, they are very sedate colors.

Many people use color period ads to make choices for car color. I’ve always thought of these as artists misconceptions, and do believe that there are many color schemes in ads that never left the factory.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.