parts needed & information on leaky water pump

Home Page Forums General parts needed & information on leaky water pump

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Message deleted by original poster

Hi Ed, check with your mechanic, he will know what needs to be done with the waterpump. There is a graphite-impregnated rope-seal that is wrapped around the pump shaft, it is compressed against the shaft when you tighten the notched packing-nut. The rope seal wears away, and needs to be replaced after a few years. Do not overtighten the packing nut, only enough to stop the leak, Otherwise you create a groove in the pump shaft and it will be even more difficult to seal up. The pump shaft and brass bearing in the pump get worn, and loose, then they will leak,

There were a few people who had a system for replacing the old shaft/brass bearing/rope-seal packing with a modern waterpump shaft and sealed bearing, but right now I don’t think anyone is rebuilding the pumps.

Your mechanic [ Vince?] will know what to do, or where to take the pump.

Greg Long

My water pump is leaking pretty steady. I was told there is a leak less water pump is

available. Where can I find one and how much are they? This is for my Series 80.

Thank you,

Ken

I’m not familiar with the 80 series water pump, but I can tell you what I did on a 1935 845 pump….new stainless shaft, then fit and installed two modern seals…each facing in opposite direction from the other. One kept the water in the pump, one kept the air from being sucked into the pump, was my reasoning. It worked perfectly with no leaks and no foaming of coolant, and no packing or tightening to bother with…

All,

Mr. Krouch (in the Roster) rebuilt my ’27 Series 80 water pump. Was quick and reasonably priced. So far I have had no issues!

Sincerely,

James Powell

Gents,

James is correct.

Contact Karl Krouch about a rebuild.

It will be well worth the quite reasonable cost.

Peter

Peter,

Thank you for the information I will contact Karl Krouch and see what I need to do to get it in to him.

Take care,

Ken

Ken,

I mailed mine directly to him via USPS. It worked out that he brought it to the annual meet in RI where I picked it up.

James

follow members; thank you for the information of my leaky water pump… come to fine out it was leaking from the grease cup on the back side!

a updated parts need list 1927 80 series 5 passenger; original used radiator cap to be used for a motometer, pierce arrow key blank, visor hardware & visor, spark plugs,set of 4 21.o x 6 tires, wheel hub wrench and other tooling to complete my tool collection…

I spoke with Rick Horne this weekend at the winter Board meeting. Rick confirmed that Karl is NO LONGER able to rebuild water pumps. His machine shop has proven to be unreliable, and Karl no longer offers to rebuild water pumps.

However, in a similar discussion with Merlin Smith, he now has a machinist who IS rebuilding water-pumps.. So, if you need a pump rebuilt, please contact Merlin Smith, he is in West Monroe Louisiana. His contact information is in the roster.

The water pumps often leak backwards through the grease cup. The easiest way to reduce this problem is to use the old-style THICK, STRINGY water-pump grease, NOT the high-temp but very thin wheel bearing grease.

Greg Long

Greg,

Thank you for the updated information. George is sending me some packing for mine and hopefully that will take care of my leaking.

Ken

A quick note about the Series 80 water pumps. The quality of the rebuild was not the issue here. The time frame to get them back became an issue after the death of the lead re-builder (employee)at the shop I was using. Originally they were looking for more work… and I did not have time to do them myself. The next issue was a 40% increase in the price (with out notice) after they were done! The last issue was additional fees added for installing helicoils at the rear plate that exceeded the cost of the rebuild for the last two pumps. I was not making money, this was a hobby project helping members, it became a way to make enemies? and loose money? I am back to rebuilding my own, as before, and none others. Rick and I had talked to Merlin’s rebuilder last summer and gave him the shaft info, he has one now to work out the details for becoming the next go to guy. Give him some time to work on the first series 80 pump and then we should here from Merlin. His guy has completed a pump for the 31 Cabriolet Merlin had at Hershey using the bearing we use, so he should be able to do anyone’s 8 cyl. car. Karl

Karl,

Thank you for the update. I will see how the fix that has been recommended works out and keep watching the blog.

Ken

Hello, I just found the following Series 80 water pump on eBay. It looks a little ruff but I am not an expert. Sure glad I bought my car in as nice a shape as it is in.

Below is the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REBUILT-MID-1920S-PIERCE-ARROW-SERIES-89-WATERPUMP-/381559087050?hash=item58d6b19fca:g:6V8AAOSwoBtW1iMt&vxp=mtr

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.