Petronix II

Home Page Forums Engine Petronix II

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

The discussion on Petronix below become more a discussion of why one should or shouldn’t. Regardless of religious views, could we get back to what I think the original question was, the experience of those who have installed a Petronix – particularly on a positive ground 6 volt? Was it simple, did it work, has it been reliable?

With the previous discussion, those who may have relevant experience to share might be unwilling to reveal themselves as heretics.

I HAVE been left stranded once, and almost a second time with bad condensers on two ’60’s cars. I don’t have confidence that the recent production condensers I have to put on my Pierce are any better than I am getting for my 60’s cars. To me it is guessing at the relative reliability of recent Mexico/Taiwan/Indonesia production original style points/condensers versus the Petronix electronics. I am undecided at this point and would like better information.

Jim

Hi Jim, I have installed 4 sets that I can remember. Three were 6 volt positive ground. The kits were “direct fit” according to the Pertronix people and fit fine. They started first try, I set the timing, and that was the end of it. On a Pierce eight it is simple and not an issue. When we ran the set’s on a car we ordered wire loom from a restoration supply to cover the modern wires. As I remember we made up a small grommet to go into the distributor to help hide the set up. When finished I don’t think anyone would be able to tell. That way the owner didn’t have to talk about it if he didn’t want too. Overall I would say they are fine as far as reliability goes. If you have a misfire I am not sure how the very high 6 volt KV’s would treat the solid state electronics. Just make sure your cap, rotor, wires, and plugs are all perfect and there should be no issues. If you decide to run a Pertronix why not post photos and comments on the process? It would make a good read on the site. Happy New Year! Ed

Thanks Ed, that helps. Might be a few years yet before I would be able to contribute any experience, I am repairing the rear trunk surround wood, then it is trunk lid framing, some rear body repairs before re-mounting the body and dealing with doors, all before the engine/trans (counted in years).

I tried to install a Pertronix drop-in kit on my Alfa a few years ago and it simply didn’t fit. Tried to install both a Pertronix and a Mallory complete distributor into my 440 Chrysler and they didn’t fit (trying to avoid previous bad distributor rebuilds and amazingly poor new-built points). Finally put a Pertronix drop-in kit in a rebuilt distributor. It fit and so far (

Jim,

Read my post on the Pertonix again. Any weakness in Battery or Starter will leave you in danger of falling below 5.9 volts while cranking and then needing a jump to start. Seen this several times on different cars. I have Pertronix on my 1941 Cadillac as does Tony Z. It cranks over much faster than any Pierce and I’ve been happy with the result. But I also juiced up the generator and installed an 8 volt battery.

The solution for your condenser concerns is to use Onan Condensers. These high quality units are now in every one of my 6 volt cars except the Cadillac. There are multiple previous posts about these. Greg Loftness first put me onto these some years ago and so far they are bulletproof!

David, thanks! I’ll check out the Onan condensers, maybe the best solution.

Jim

Here’s a copy & paste link to the Onan condensers I’ve been using in my Series 33 with no problems since 2006 thanks to Greg’s advice. RV stores will usually stock them. http://www.anyrvparts.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=11496&SID=39&DID=59&CID=214

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.