points and condensers for a ’30, Model A, 7 passenger Sedan

Home Page Forums Engine points and condensers for a ’30, Model A, 7 passenger Sedan

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I am trying to determine the correct points and condensers for my 1930 PA. I understand that the ones recommended in the parts & services section have to be modified. If anyone knows what the correct replacement parts are I would appreciate knowing. Thank.s

Besides to help found in the “service” section of this web section, use NAPA for left and right Packard points, and Onan Generators for high temperature condensers/capacitors. Be careful mounting the points that nothing is able to ‘short out’. Be sure to lubricate the fiber portion that follows the distributer cam lob. Lub comes with the points. Don’t fall for the modern electronic substitues, which work well but are not authentic. Do it right and you will be pleased.

I purchased the points listed in the Parts and Services pages and had to do a slight modification so they would work.

You will need both the C778 and C779 since one is a left and one is a right.

The part you have to cut off is a tab where one end of the band mounts to the body of the points.

I went to Napa to buy the parts and the guy had to look through an old paper catalog so I will pick up another set before Napa decides not to carry them anymore.

I’ll take a picture of my distributor tonight if you like so you can see what they look like after they’re modified and mounted.

The Onan condenser part number is 1814-4913-9040 and you can Google it to find a supplier.

Bill

Gentlemen, the Napa points ARE NOT CORRECT, and the points angle is wrong and the dwell cannot be adjusted to spec. If you are not setting the distributor up on a Sun distributor machine, you won’t get them correct. The incorrect points arc, and cause hard starting due to the dwell issue. I have helped out more than 5 members this year who’s problem all came down to incorrect points. Plenty of suppliers have correct parts, why not buy the right ones? I just don’t understand why people have to use a “cut and fit incorrect part” when correct parts are easily available, and will work correctly. Ask any club member who DRIVES his car, trying to save 10 bucks and installing wrong parts is FOLLY. It would not surprise me that the Napa parts cost more than the correct ones. Ed Minnie

If the parts listed in the Parts and Services section are not the correct ones then why are they even listed?

I was going by the information listed and did what I had to do to make them work.

I have zero issues with starting or power compared to the old set that was burnt when I cracked the rotor on the way to the Temecula meet.

I’d love to use the ‘correct’ points, just let us know which ones we should be buying, because the parts listed in our directory must be modified to work.

No answer as to whether the correct points are listed in the Parts Directory?

I’d like to know so I can install the correct points and avoid any issues down the road.

I don’t know how the dwell can be effected by the points themselves. The dwell of a 4 lob cam is very diferent than that of an 8 lob cam however. Am I wrong? Teach me. I did not have to modify my NAPA points.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.